Newbie just want to say Hi =)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: Need some info ??

atan888 said:
Sorry I know this is a newbie question but someone has told me my seats are from a 74cs. My car is a 73. Do I have the wrong seats? I plan to redo the entire interior and it would be sad if I do it on the wrong seats :( . Thanks in advance.

IMO no one should be telling you you have the "wrong" seats...no one (not even MT) can tell you when the transition period for changes to the interior took place, only reason the body changes btw 73 and 74 are "known" is because the bodies have a VIN / chassis number and were tracked by those numbers during production ... interior changes are not as easy to definitize. But if you're worried about it, because of what people are "telling you"...just take a poll ... and see how many people "vote" for what is "correct" for your car! (??!?!?!)

Tierfreund

Reaction score
In short, put seats in that you like. Since you mentioned restoring and modding (thus leaving the path of absolute originality anyway (you mentioned a front air dam)), go for whatever suits you.

Personally I whince when somebody puts more "modern" seats in an E9. Even if they are more or less period correct (Scheel and Recaro). It´s the one thing that visually makes the infamous Alpine tribute car unbearable to me. Even Paul Cains 3.8CSI, I can´t really look at without thinking: "That´s not right"

But that is a very personal opinion. My perfect E9 is a more or less stock 3.0CSI, only upgrades would be a 5speed and an electronic ignition. But no visual changes, no bigger wheels (Alpina open lugs are my favourite), chrome bumpers, no spoilers and original interior (including the original wood) and period Becker radio (not even cassette).

I´m sure your personal perfect E9 will be different but beautiful anyway.

Trouble is: The original E9 seats (no matter what year), while looking perfect, are not exactly very comfortable on long trips...

atan888

Reaction score
Re: Need some info ??

dp said:
atan888 said:
Sorry I know this is a newbie question but someone has told me my seats are from a 74cs. My car is a 73. Do I have the wrong seats? I plan to redo the entire interior and it would be sad if I do it on the wrong seats :( . Thanks in advance.

IMO no one should be telling you you have the "wrong" seats...no one (not even MT) can tell you when the transition period for changes to the interior took place, only reason the body changes btw 73 and 74 are "known" is because the bodies have a VIN / chassis number and were tracked by those numbers during production ... interior changes are not as easy to definitize. But if you're worried about it, because of what people are "telling you"...just take a poll ... and see how many people "vote" for what is "correct" for your car! (??!?!?!)

Thanks Dale. I just would not want to start from the wrong seats if I had to spend to have it all redone. But you have a very good point there. Also the stitch guy Im going to said that since I will redo all of it he can do it in any pattern (horizontal or vertical) :) I got a bit confused and when I saw the 73 Blue tribute car for sale. the rears are horizontal like mine. My VIN ends with 700 :)

atan888

Reaction score
Tierfreund said:
But that is a very personal opinion. My perfect E9 is a more or less stock 3.0CSI, only upgrades would be a 5speed and an electronic ignition. But no visual changes, no bigger wheels (Alpina open lugs are my favourite), chrome bumpers, no spoilers and original interior (including the original wood) and period Becker radio (not even cassette).
quote]

I like that and Im with you there :D

PS

Sorry guys Im really new with the E9s. But like everyone here I am a big fan. Im realy sorry if I sound ignorant but its true. I just want to build a nice example for me and I hope one day I can share and pass my knowledge to anyone who needs it :) I really am very thankful for all the help and advice. If anyone needs advice with E30 M3s or Porsche 993s pls dont hesitate to ask. I would be glad to return the favor.

Thanks
Alvin

Im not a purist but I like things era correct. Here are some of my custom build 993s

b4020975b6f6ca66406a70993bd2a9f7.jpg

f71aac0ccdc3eed46dbbefbd59b6b4ed.jpg

e40dd168bde2c1eb70abf4fa675a9cf2.jpg

f8ea3d7be7d0bf8776bf0402086cd9d4.jpg

4b00c64604ed43c8b74a62fe8f2a2a4e.jpg

6b8170805a0c47854115ac579be1f776.jpg

4e0bf3dd6dc62db8602aab96a2e43ec9.jpg

atan888

Reaction score
My previous Pcars all started bone stock

b1c2a7bbf46e56723e25aeb3ee021510.jpg

06395575b3a30678dd4e6ef43851d7d2.jpg

ea63598d8bf5368f623a6310d5a881ab.jpg

913369d591d78cbf1823ea13f4b58d64.jpg

c433690396ec1961c1b325e52fb072d9.jpg

3ed1f3e5dc46c294dfcf0ca49221b667.jpg

82d41ebf3f7b5a51f9e5c38279403a28.jpg

1ff2d747f4d543fbc5950c8a21482a18.jpg

0723b5dda5343126d7bd18eace850392.jpg

996 gt3
1850f93982fa6e4a8eeb49602ff053b4.jpg

8f69346492a34d745ddee846f6dc5052.jpg

996 gt2
55a567cd439b584134527bd7e0ae3e54.jpg

8035b5dca36bd1bc4ffd326792dfb802.jpg

8a9df5a264be69a285f91baf4b27e0a9.jpg

I would like to do the same color scheme (interior) from my old 355
a64759295ef5746732798aa2e263dae5.jpg

hennaroth

Reaction score
Alvin wow :shock: good garage!

send one picture of your seats taken on the side............ pattern look like correct as on the latest seats but do you have crome profile on side and back?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Ha-cha-cha, that's what I call a nice collection!

Too bad it will be many, many years before I could get even close to that. Man, sometimes being a poor grad student really bites. :cry:

atan888

Reaction score
pj said:
hi atan,
the silver porsche looks familiar to me , do you do any nasa track days ?

All I did was a Jim Russell @ Sears Pt.

x_atlas0 said:

Too bad it will be many, many years before I could get even close to that. Man, sometimes being a poor grad student really bites. :cry:

Not true I was there once as well :wink: Just set a goal and believe in yourself :)

Tierfreund

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:

I´m sorry, but I just can´t feel sorry for someone with a 3.5 Liter fjord E9...

:D

At your age I was driving a 55 hp 1.3 Liter VW Mark II Golf and felt priviledged to have my own set of wheels at all.

Ah, the ranting of the oldtimers. Never thought one day I would join them... :shock:

mpgandco

Reaction score
This CS was a real find!!!I know this car very well. It was built in the early 90's by a guy from the Sacramento area.It was a big dollar restoration back then.Nothing but the best for this car.From the Buffalo hides he hand picked in Germany to the Custom Zebra wood dash.
This car was so nice back then ,that myself and others couldn't compete with him.He would take top honors every time.
Unfortunately he ran into hard times and starting using it as his daily driver.It seems to have gotten beat up a bit but it still has some really trick stuff on it.I was able to hook up with him around 2001 when he first starting using it as his only car.It was still in very good shape at that time.I guess things got worse for him.
Knowing Alvin "from the Porsche World",he will bring this car back to its former glory.Great find Alvin!!! Congrats :D

atan888

Reaction score
Yes and I will try my best to bring it back to its original condition with the help of a few friends from this forum. Thanks to all :D

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupe find / history / Congrats

If this is the car I think it is -Terry's information - You have located an exception E9. This car was one of the first fully restored coupes. Based on the description this car was owned by Sandy Schulman (sp?) who lived in the Sacramento area. In 1995 this car was clearly the finest restoration completed in North America. The actual wrench work was done by some known, very talented hands. It was a regular at coupefest each year and has some very elegant modifcations, zebra wood and very large stereo system. As I recall there is non-OEM notch on the radiator bulkhead that allowed the A/C plumbing to pass thru? Still there?

We would love to see some "after photos". I took extensive photos of this car "in its day" as one of the very few cars I benchmarked (Carey Iida's being the other) during the restoration of the 3.8CSi. If you are interested, I might be able to locate them (all pre-digital).

Congratulations on such a find.

Paul Cain
www.38csi.com
www.2002twinturbo.com

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Tierfreund said:
I´m sorry, but I just can´t feel sorry for someone with a 3.5 Liter fjord E9...

:D

At your age I was driving a 55 hp 1.3 Liter VW Mark II Golf and felt priviledged to have my own set of wheels at all.

Ah, the ranting of the oldtimers. Never thought one day I would join them... :shock:

Unfortunately, said coupe is ~1200 miles away from grad school, and requires (from a practical standpoint) a new wiring harness, I can't exactly count that as a good thing right now.

atan888

Reaction score
Re: Coupe find / history / Congrats

paul cain said:
If this is the car I think it is -Terry's information - You have located an exception E9. This car was one of the first fully restored coupes. Based on the description this car was owned by Sandy Schulman (sp?) who lived in the Sacramento area. In 1995 this car was clearly the finest restoration completed in North America. The actual wrench work was done by some known, very talented hands. It was a regular at coupefest each year and has some very elegant modifcations, zebra wood and very large stereo system. As I recall there is non-OEM notch on the radiator bulkhead that allowed the A/C plumbing to pass thru? Still there?

We would love to see some "after photos". I took extensive photos of this car "in its day" as one of the very few cars I benchmarked (Carey Iida's being the other) during the restoration of the 3.8CSi. If you are interested, I might be able to locate them (all pre-digital).

Congratulations on such a find.

Paul Cain
www.38csi.com
www.2002twinturbo.com

Hello Mr Cain,

Thanks for all the important information. Yes the title has Mr Schulman's name. Regarding the notch. I see it below the ignition dist/ box. Is that the one your referring too? Pls so post some pics on how this car looked on its prime :D

Alvin

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sandy Schulman Coupe--in Monterey

I too recall that Coupe from the early 1990's--and what seemed an almost obscene amount (at least for the time) of about $100K that went into the restoration--and as Paul and Mike posted it was of the highest quality--believe I recall Sandy S. was a builder/developer somewhere in the Bay Area in those days--was obviously prospering then.

For perspective--in 1981 a new M-1 was $60K in Italy--although added to that was transport, import duties and federalization--total amounted to about $80K--a total price still well under the sum of your Coupe's restoration then.

BTW--I wouldn't toss the cape buffalo seats as they are really unique--doubt if there are many E-9's around so fitted--just a few Euro M-6's or early 1980's 745i--remind me some day to share my first drive in one of those nice sedans around Christmas time in 1982--it was one of the first ones on these shores--and were never officially imported to the USA.

atan888

Reaction score
I would really love to revive the leather but there is just no way and it is far from being saved. Wow thanks to this community I learned a lot regarding this coupe I have. From zero records to excellent information :shock: . :D I will try my very best with your help to bring this car back to its glory. :D This is my first coupe and it will take a lot of learning and information from all of you gurus. I am very thankful for knowing Terry C and all of you . I currently have 6 project cars and out of them all the coupe is the one that excites me the most. I never knew it has such rich history. Im sure it will make Mr.Sandy S. proud. Thank you very much :)