Newbie Introduction

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1972 Bavaria 3.0 S.

I've restored several cars since I retired, but not a vintage BMW. I'll need all the help I can get. It looks like finding parts and information for these cars is a real challenge.

My E3 (3100645) was built on July 19, 1971, and delivered new on January 18, 1972 in San Diego, CA. It was a Southern California car most of it's life. It is rust free. It seems to be good mechanically. Runs, drives, and stops well. Compression numbers are in the 130s. I have receipts for a lot of work to the car in the past 10 years and all the original documentation that came with the car new.

The prior owner had the body prepped for a repaint then lost interest in the project. It will go back to Baikal metallic. The interior is light brown.

I think it is basically a good car to start with, but it needs a lot. The dash is cracked badly, the front seat bottom cushions need attention (the rest of the seats and panels are nice), the front bumper is missing, it has the wrong wheels on it and the wrong steering wheel, the exhaust system is new but the beautiful sounding stock system is gone, the air cleaner and the left outside mirror are missing. I'm sure there will be other missing or broken parts to find as I get into the project. I'll also have lots of questions for the experts here.

If anyone has any of the above parts for sale, please let me know.

IMG_3466.jpeg

Thanks,
Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Dick, and welcome. Your E3 sure looks like a nice project in the picture. And I don't think the list of items you'd mentioned should be too difficult to source, save maybe for the front bumper. But there are folks on the forum that will have better information than I. I look forward to seeing your progress!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello Dick, and welcome. Your E3 sure looks like a nice project in the picture. And I don't think the list of items you'd mentioned should be too difficult to source, save maybe for the front bumper. But there are folks on the forum that will have better information than I. I look forward to seeing your progress!
Thanks, Stephen.

I like all parts of a restoration project including building the info network and chasing the parts. I'll have fun for sure!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Dick, your car looks great. A fun project for sure. I do have a steering wheel. Photo attached. Could probably avoid shipping as I am just 20 minutes north over the border, so perhaps a 45 minute trip! Mike
SAM_4654.JPG

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! Your project is further along than a lot of others, looks great! Start a restoration thread in the E3 forum....

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome! Your project is further along than a lot of others, looks great! Start a restoration thread in the E3 forum....
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure the car looks great right now, but hopefully some day. I'll start a restoration thread as soon as I get on it in earnest. It's in my shop now, but I need to sell another of my cars in order to have the room I need to work on it. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to say that it looks a lot like the e3 for sale in Bellingham. Then I read your signature. :D

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was going to say that it looks a lot like the e3 for sale in Bellingham. Then I read your signature. :D
That's the one.

The California Grandfather (I believe the original owner) gave it to his son who gave it to HIS son. The grandson put $2100 worth of 18" wheels and tires on it, a 13" steering wheel and lost a bunch of parts. He did have the brakes rebuilt, new cooling system, Weber carb conversion, and a few other odds and ends taken care of. He sold it to a friend of a friend here in Bellingham soon after he figured out he wasn't going to turn it into an M3 ;)

The friend of a friend had the prep for paint pro done (it is nicely done. Glass out, disassembled, jambs prepped, etc). He also had some mechanical work done (lower control arms, etc) He wasn't a car guy and finally figured he'd have $50k into it before it was close to done so he decided to cut his losses.

My friend turned me on to it since he knew I lusted after an E3. The seller is a very nice guy and made me a great deal without me asking for it. I agreed to give him the right of first refusal if I ever decide to sell it when it is finished. He lives close by and hopefully will drop in every now and then to see it take shape.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
welcome! this is the most action I've seen on the board in one day. lol

you should also join the e3 facebook groups, it's a good source for getting questions answered.
you said you've restored other cars, are you a diy guy? The dash is probably the hardest thing on your list, but if youre confident, it can be redone pretty easily.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
welcome! this is the most action I've seen on the board in one day. lol

you should also join the e3 facebook groups, it's a good source for getting questions answered.
you said you've restored other cars, are you a diy guy? The dash is probably the hardest thing on your list, but if youre confident, it can be redone pretty easily.

Thanks!

I did join the E3 Facebook group. I've been lurking there.

Yes...I'm a DIY guy. I can do about everything on a restoration. (some things better than others ;)). I just finished this 914...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/albums/72157709166320891

I'm selling my MGB V8 that I did a couple of years ago to make room for the E3. It's been accepted on Bring a Trailer and will run in a couple of weeks. I made this video for that...

Some others I've done...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99691157@N00/albums/72157650980254655

I enjoy the project part of the hobby too much. If I keep the cars I do, the hobby stops for me. I run out of room and money (mostly money :)) . I'm getting old enough, however, that I probably should think about keeping a few. Maybe the Bavaria will be one?

I've never recovered a dash. The Bavaria one looks like a real challenge with the compartments across the top. Any tips on doing it?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!!!! Great start of the project !!!!
Look forward to seeing your journey.
Tom
P.S. we’ll be a matching pair.....
However I’m sure you’ll beat me.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
if you cant find a good dash, I watched a guy do one recently. cut out the cracks, filled and then wrapped with a heavy vinyl wrap (like the kind ppl use to do the outside of the car but with a leatherette texture) you can find it with built in UV protection too.