Newbie in North San Diego County

Scott Wilson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just bought an E9 ('74 CS)...STOKED! Been wanting one since i used to drive home from my girlfriend's house in Mission Hills area of San Diego, CA. On the drive home (just above Presidio Park if you know the area) back in the mid-'70s there was a house that had TWO of them parked in front. Incredible. At first sight of the E9s the thought of a Mercedes Benze 280sl seemed like an old lady's car....something bought for status so everyone knew you had made it. The E9 was the choice of the truly knowing, sporting, beautiful people....and most people had no clue what it was!

Anyway here i am 40 years still hung up on that moment I saw the car. I could buy any number of newer cars....but still have that image in my head.

Bought that silver '74 on Ebay with the red interior out of Canada (including the red dash.....eeeuuwwhh!). Anyway yes I paid that much and hopefully Hagerty will acknowledge that by raising the average value of all of our cars. On a serious note the car is in really great shape......body appears to have been done right to a high standard in Belgium a while ago....fenders off grind out an weld session. I am taking it to La Jolla Independent BMW next week for a good once-over since i dont know these cars. After that i will be on my ownasking advice from all of you Gurus!

Great forum.

Thanks

Scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well done, I also remember my e9 imprint moment and the subsequent desire to obtain one. Your car looks great, are you considering going back to a stock dash? I love me some polaris/red leather seats. Killer.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Very recognizable story. Growing up in Germany in the late '60 and trough the '70 it was the Porsche 911 that made that impression on me and I always knew the day would come that I own one. Back in those day, a little more subconsciously maybe, the E9's I saw driving by also left such an imprint. Maybe it was the Csi's presence in the quartet card games we never stopped playing.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of you're new love.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Very recognizable story. Growing up in Germany in the late '60 and trough the '70 it was the Porsche 911 that made that impression on me and I always knew the day would come that I own one. Back in those day, a little more subconsciously maybe, the E9's I saw driving by also left such an imprint. Maybe it was the Csi's presence in the quartet card games we never stopped playing.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of you're new love.
Over 50 years ago I saw an e9 parked in front of my friend's house. Turned out it belonged to his youngest brother who turned out to be the more successful by far of the four brothers. Not sure what that says, if it says anything. But I still see that beautiful coupe parked at a rakish angle speeding while it was parked.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome Scott! I was watching that car. It seems like a really nice car. We discussed it here when it was for sale. It was heavily under priced when it was first listed in Canada. Based on the restoration details that you mentioned, it sounded like you paid closer to fair market value. There is another sharp '74 listed in our classifieds right now for $42K.

Alan had recently asked who owns a '74, and I programmatically compiled a list based on the e9 registry. Not everyone is registered though ,and not everyone includes their e9coupe screen name. As people have responded to his thread, I updated the list. I added you to the list of '74 owners. Since there is a lot of '74-specific parts, wiring, and chassis characteristics, you may refer to this list in the future if you need to reach out to anyone.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/74s.22802/

scottd

Reaction score
Welcome.

My father was an avid sailer, and would drag me along as a young teenager. Every weekend, I'd see a coupe in the yacht club parking lot, and think what a beautiful car. From that point on, I got the bug.

Enjoy your car.

Scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome Scott, congrats on your purchase - from one Scott to another. we are starting to have a big collection of Scotts on this forum.

I was a big sailor in the '70's - i raced Flying Dutchman (olympic class), Laser, Hobie 16, Flying Scot, Oday Day Sailer, Lido 14 and offshore boats. i made it to a couple of races in California - FD Nationals in San Diego and Day Sailer North Americans in Palo Alto.