Lan-suspension new shock absorbers and springs front and rear

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
a question

in the standard front suspension there is a big yellow foam bumper block that goes inside the shock rod, it is a way to avoid hitting of the shock tower to the thrust support when a big bump happens. i remember reading somewhere that you should not install it when using bilsteins, what is your advise ?

whith my new setup: CN´s springs + bilsteins HD/B6, should i install it now or not ?

it is part No. 14 in the drawing in this pic:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
can anyone help on this ?

in the standard front suspension there is a big yellow foam bumper block that goes inside the shock rod, it is a way to avoid hitting of the shock tower to the thrust support when a big bump happens. i remember reading somewhere that you should not install it when using bilsteins, what is your advise ?

whith my new setup: CN´s springs + bilsteins HD/B6, should i install it now or not ?

it is part No. 14 in the drawing in this pic:

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
another question

in the front shock tower there is a big nut that retains the shock, in my car the PO installed KYB shocks, and the original big nut was replaced by this:

now i am going to install bilsteinsHD, i have just ordered them, my question is:

1- do the front bilsteins come with a new big nut in the box ?

2- if not, did you reused the original big nut without problems ?

thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bilsteins do not come with the nut, it is specific to the strut housing. It should fit with the Bilsteins.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
today start painting

anti-rust from rust-oleum:

two times in preparation for final paint, i will not go for original dark green colour, but black matt, in order to simplify things...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I put Bilsteins in my Corrado and Datsun 280-Z the instructions said not to use the Bumpstops. Might want to triple check before assembly just to be sure.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
meanwhile

while waiting for receiving the new set of bilsteins,...

polyu bushings for the antisway bar

not very easy to remove this hidden bolt, i needed a 8mm allen tool and a lot of torque to remove it

then the steering balls:

remove the 17mm nut

scissor extractor

new ball joint, using copper grease to avoid corrosion on the thread, i bought it in the uk (halfords)

i meassured the old ball joint position to place this new one, nevertheless i will bring the car to the shop to do it properly after i finish the suspension

40 N.m torque, and fixed with retainer

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a Big shaped Wäsher on the tie Bar, Does the hollow side Face in to Match the Bush, or outwards to to give a progressive effect When a Force is Experten on it? Your One Looks to be Faceing in, Mine Face Out!
Sorry for all the grammatical errors, my iPad Seems to have Been corrupted Since two Young children Moved in this Summer.
C

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a Big shaped Wäsher on the tie Bar, Does the hollow side Face in to Match the Bush, or outwards to to give a progressive effect When a Force is Experten on it? Your One Looks to be Faceing in, Mine Face Out!
Sorry for all the grammatical errors, my iPad Seems to have Been corrupted Since two Young children Moved in this Summer.
C

i do not know, i have not done this by myself, any ideas ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
the assembly of the two front struts has been completed,

once the strut towers are painted, regreased and ready, i placed one in a solid and firm support

overview of the required parts and tools:

start removing the blue cover from the shock

pour 40c.c. of engine oil into the strut cylinder

insert the shock

place the tool for doing the nut, torque must reach 130N.m

insert the blue cover again

sequence of needed pieces

torque 80N.m

funny enough, the carl nelson springs do not need the compressors to be put in place...

ready...love when they are clean and neat

before:

Mr. Arde mentioned endrophines once....;-)

Last edited: