new seats or restore the old ones?

mark55

Reaction score
My 73 CSI needs some new material on the seats. Do I recover them or swap them out for some racing seats that my mechanic has? I like to drive it so he thinks that the swap would be better and keep the originals in case some day I want to sell. Thoughts?

Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
I think this is a terrible idea that only benefits your mechanic.

Non-original seats will detract from the value of your car. Yea, I read that you plan to hang onto the original seats in case you sell your car. But offering the car with race seats installed will lower its price (or cancel the sale if the buyer is accompanied by a wife). Including ratty, uninstalled OE seats in the deal won't add to the price. Sure you could re-upholster and re-install the OE seats prior to the sale, but if you are going to do that, why not do it now?

It isn't as if OE e9 seats are uncomfortable.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMO, any type racing seats would look completely out of place in a coupe, comfort notwithstanding. Only other sport seats I would install are the early manual genuine Recaros that were fitted into the early E24 coupes. I also would not consider the later E24 BMW manual/powered sport seats a good fitment either.

mark55

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. Now another one - what about the fuel injection system? it runs rough in the warm weather but great below 20C. Mechanic claims it will be difficult to troubleshoot so easier to replace the whole thing plus make it more reliable. Further thoughts?

Thanks again.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. Now another one - what about the fuel injection system? it runs rough in the warm weather but great below 20C. Mechanic claims it will be difficult to troubleshoot so easier to replace the whole thing plus make it more reliable. Further thoughts?

Thanks again.

May want to start a new thread about that. You'll get better advice regarding D-Jet.

Last edited: