New Project

nealf

Reaction score
This has replaced the Bavaria I smashed in September...'72 Tii, 243rd car imported into US... VERY original...mostly original paint, California blue plate car, always stored indoors, Article in Road & Track in March 1981 with a profile of the car and the original owner.

I absolutely hate Sahara but it would be a crime to repaint in another color as this is a true survivor. Any thoughts on a color change from you folks?

nf
'70 2800CS
'72 Tii
'73 2002

5dfb3bef819ea1a2a6f7f9f52589b36e.jpg

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Very nice. I have a 76 Sahara 2002a and would love to change the colour but with no rust or body work that needs to be done I can't justify the expense. It isn't that I hate the colour but it's so blaaaaand. It looks like a Maco re-spray and that alone may push me over the edge.

jmackro

Reaction score
it would be a crime to repaint in another color as this is a true survivor

Well, that says it all.

Also, don't minimize how much disassembly / reassembly it takes to do a proper color change. You really need to take the car down to its shell to ensure that the trunk, engine compartment, hood underside, door jambs, ... all get painted. You could do all this, but again, it would destroy the originality of this car.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I suggest....

leaving it Sahara.

My first 2002, a '70 automatic, had been repainted that color or something close to it, when for some reason that shade of khaki (or whatchacallit) was popular.

Later I had a clean all original '71 with only 40,000 on it, Sahara again. The '71 was low miles because the original owner, who lived a block away, had whacked a curb and totally screwed the alignment. No problem for him.... when the front tires wear to the cord, put 'em on the rear. When the new fronts wear out, park the car for years then sell it to the tall surfer-guy, for beans. His loss, my gain. Later flipped that '71 for a few bucks, as I did with all the 14 or so 2002s I owned at one time or another.

Sure would like to have that '70 back again (though without the auto trans). It got 27-plus miles overall due to the little Solex single barrel carby.