New Project, Wire Question

scanty

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I purchased a 1972 BMW 3.0CS Automatic from CA. Overall it looks to be in good condition, however, the engine does not currently run. I'm trying to fix it up, not to complete restoration, but good working condition. My progress and pictures of the project can be found here: http://bmwrestoration.wordpress.com/

Onto my question. Under the dash, just above the fusebox is a thin dark blue wire, it appears to be connected to Fuse # 7, but then the other end is not connected to anything. It's just tapped off. Any clues as to what this might go to? Disconnected wires tend to make me uneasy, especially when I'm not the one who disconnected them! On the blog I started I actually video tapped what Im talking about and posted it to youtube. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

video link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohavEkD95eA

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase, nice blog to document your trials and tribulations along the way. I would have to check my wiring diagram but I don't think BMW used a solid dark blue wire, it was probably added by the PO for an alarm or that thing on the left of your steering column. While you're at it please add your VIN and other info to our e9 Registry and get the build date from BMW, instructions are on the Registry site.

Chris

e9coupe

Reaction score
Hey good luck with you project make sure to really check out the rust especially around the shock towers front and back. Remeber its a unibody car so rust repair is very very important.

Im gonna help you only if you add your Vin to our registry! j/k

To answer your question fuse number 7 is the ---fuel pump, fuel and temp gauges.

Ask the previous owner if theres something they "tried to fix" best way to trace wires.

If not possible when you get it back together conect the battery and check and see if the guages and fuel pump work.

If you need a fuel pump heres the info:(not saying that you do)
Theres a diagram on this page

OEM Number: 0580364002
Manufacturer: Bosch

http://data.bmrparts.com/bmwparts/105_8741556046831U.html

Any more questions or help PM me, thanks and good luck!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because your car has been sitting for so long, for your gas tank I recommend POR-15 gas tank cleaner/sealer system. Also check and clean the in-tank sending unit screen. When done cleaning the tank and back in the car, (a 2-3 day process), remove the fuel filter, the line from the fuel pump to the carburetors tee, and clean your fuel pump screen if it has one (looks like it might be the kind it does from your pic) and flush the system with fresh gas by cranking the engine (once that is ready to do). You'll also want to remove the tops of the carbs and check for residue in the float bowls etc. Buy a couple carb rebuild kits for new gaskets and other parts because the carbs won't like sitting for this long and will likely have lots of vacuum leaks. Will probably need to be rebuilt - may as well do them while the engine is being worked on - not a big deal search this forum. New fuel filter and fuel hoses (and clamps on all connections) of course.

Reading about your distributor and oil change experience, try to research ahead of time here about the object you'll be working on next (like the carbs or fuel tank above) - hopefully to avoid pitfalls such as above of which there are many with these cars. One project can quickly snowball into many unintended ones and you can get sidetracked and overwhelmed mentally and fiscally. The old "while in here I may as well do this" and so on...

When working on the car I also treat any and all nooks and crannies with Penetrol to keep moisture off bare metal - each time I have new access to an untreated hidden area or seam of metal while undertaking a project it gets cleaned and treated.

Good luck with your project - when I got my car I basically scanned and read most every forum post here from the beginning and used the search feature extensively - you'll then know the extent of topics covered here which is vast. There are several very knowledgeable members here who will gladly help with the most miniscule questions - I know this first hand since I ask a lot of them :)

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Starter switch woes

The plate w/ wires is staked on the switch in several places. That's all that holds it together. Usually they first start to loosen resulting in intermittent action at the key.

If you can manage to get it back together and restake it, you've saved yourself some money. The part absent the wires is held by a small set screw. Find it. That means you can remove the whole assembly to a bench, place it vertically so you can insert the action and springs, then restake properly. Go slow and carefully.

The blue wire- is it violet? If so, fog light wired through the switch that lights up. Usually most wires have a small tracer color as Chris states. Make sure it hasn't rubbed off or you just missed it which is sometimes easy to do.

Black wires- not usually grounds on German vehicles. Brown wires are.

Connections- soldered on those small brass caps/ terminals. Low heat soldering iron. Not necessary though- find the end of that wire bundle. There's a connection.

Clicking- that's the starter solenoid working. But not the starter turning. You have a low battery, loose connection, or burned connection between the solenoid and starter.

If you have a mechanical fuel pump it is located on the head between the carburators.

Good luck. And pls. register as others have asked.

scanty

Reaction score
First off, I've finally gotten around to registering the vehicle in the database!

Second, It's a mechanical fuel pump and is located between the carbs. As for the fuel I'll have to take a look. I haven't done anything beyond draining the gas. As of now I've been trouble shooting the water pump. Got it removed today and it is completely mucked up on the interior. Not surprising given the state of the radiator. What would you suggest I use to clean the area where the water pump mounts onto the engine block? It is equally gunked up at the moment.

As for the ignition switch, I have order a new one and it's on it way! Thanks for the advice about the color of ground wires! Also, There is a separate Violet colored wire which controls the fog lights. Not the same wire aforementioned. Finally, thanks for letting me know about the ODO reset! I actually have a plastic knob looking cap which was given to me in a plastic bag with other pieces, just didn't know what they went to.

Thanks much!

Last edited: