New oil pump now original dipstick too long

drhodgie

Reaction score
Sometime ago (5 years) I had my engine rebuilt. I have not been driving it because of a brake issue, that i finally got resolved.

I went to check the oil level and had to use 2 hands to remove the dipstick. It was jammed into something at the bottom. When I tried to return it and it would not go down all the way (.5") and hit something metallic at the bottom.
Also examining the dipstick (mine is red) the "mechanic" ground 2 new level marks into the shaft for "add and full".

I think the problem started when the mechanic replaced the oil pump. The new pump is bigger causing the problem. The BMW book calls for a new dipstick (a yellow handle).

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Libr.../11410000.html

Attachments

• OilStick Specs.jpg
    OilStick Specs.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 140
  • DipStick Pix.jpg
    DipStick Pix.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 157

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thats strange - my car has a yellow dipstick and i think that is the original type?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I know a little about this issue
when my engine was rebuilt a new oil pump was needed
The oil dipstick was original yellow-orange and was ok for the new pump too
I remember reading about this in the blue manuals
Anyway there was a slight change in the oil pump body, what it was once a tube from the rotor to the suction point, in the new version had been reinforced with a plate and thus the dipstick has to pass through a hole in that plate
To avoid difficulties in introducing the dipstick through the hole a plastic part shaped like a cone was there to help
BTW, IMHO the reason of two different dipsticks is not directly the pump, but the shape and depth of the oil swump lead by two different engine bottom covers
Regards

drhodgie

Reaction score
Is there an easy fix? Do I have to remove the oil pan (Carl Nelson said it was about a 6 hour job)?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i cannot tell because i do not know the source of your problem

as you do not know which kind of oil pump do you have lets know what you can see/check

oil dipstick is red ?, ok
what about the oil pan, can you post some pics of it to see which type it is ?

i remember that the blue books show diagrams for a conversion in the case of oil pump changes, but i will have to checkit calmly

so if you detail your case we can take a look and post an answer later

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
re reading your post you said it would not go down again, hitting sth at the bottom...
but did you took it away from the right closing position ? i mean, when you started pulling off was it closed ?
what you said it remains unclosed ? 0,5" ? how many mm are that ?

drhodgie

Reaction score
The dipstick was in all the way. It was obviously jammed in since it took 2 hands and a real hard pull to remove it. I could probably get it to go down flush with the tube top but I would have to force it.
I will try to get you pix of the oil pan. What angle is best (front, side etc?).

Thanks

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The dipstick was in all the way. It was obviously jammed in since it took 2 hands and a real hard pull to remove it. I could probably get it to go down flush with the tube top but I would have to force it.
I will try to get you pix of the oil pan. What angle is best (front, side etc?).

Thanks
front lateral will be great
we need to see if the bottom is completely flat or if it has a protuberance (a deeper volume in the centre)
in my experience there are two types of oil pans that differ in the mentioned central volume, and in the shape and form of an inner plate

to introduceit completely how many mm left ? does it feel interference with plastic (elastic interference) or metal (rigid) ?

drhodgie

Reaction score
Oil Pan Pix

Let me know if you want a different view. When I insert the dipstick it hits something that sounds metallic.

Thanks

Attachments

• Oil Pan Front Right.jpg
    Oil Pan Front Right.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Oil Pan from Left Front.jpg
    Oil Pan from Left Front.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DipStick Fitment #2.jpg
    DipStick Fitment #2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DipStick Fitment.jpg
    DipStick Fitment.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 150

61porsche

Reaction score
Suggest

you modify the end of your dipstick to an approximate original point to enable the dipstick to be guided rather than forced.

After 40 years most anything is possible unless you know the engine's never been modified or changed. Since your previous post indicated a rebuild, perhaps you may know.

Your pan appears to be an interim version and not original, perhaps someone else can identify which?

I do suggest also you find your engine ID numbers which may reveal a clue.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Let me know if you want a different view. When I insert the dipstick it hits something that sounds metallic.

Thanks

i can not identify the oil pan, it seems odd to me

do you have access to the blue manuals ? there you can see the drawings of the internals in the oil pans, where you will see the plate modifications required

my thinking is that your oil pump was modified and probably the plate at the bottom of the oil pan wasn't

i can see a gap of nearly 20mm when you try to close the dipstick, andyou say a metallic interference, i do not think that you are interfering the hole in the oil pump plate (if that the case you probably had to have a gap of 40 to 50 mm

have you tried to insert the dipstick using different angle ? position ? (i.e. rotate the dipstick while inserting it ?

i assume that probably your interference is with the plate in the bottom, if that is the case you will probably need to open and remove the oil pan to check...

six hours ?, mmmm....

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
this is a nice pic, it is the new type of oil pump`

IMG00605-20120118-1827.jpg

it is presented upside down but you can identify in the left side a big naked hole, through this hole it is supposed to pass the dipstick

in this particular case the cone-shaped centering plastic part is not installed in the hole, so i assume the you can have interference with the plate if your dipstick is bent

here check the section drawing of the engine to see how the dipstick goes, unfortunately the oil pump presented is the old type, without the plate:

oilpansection.jpg

here see which are the specifications of the oil pan inner plate, there is a detailed description in the manual of how and where to modify

oilpan1.jpg

this is my oil pan with a yellow dipstick, can you tell a difference with yours ?

220420072756.jpg

Last edited:

drhodgie

Reaction score
Tried rotating the dipstick(DS) as I inserted it in to the DS tube....no luck will not go in all the way.

I will try to get my car on a lift and take some detailed pictures. Might take a week. Thanks