pst

Reaction score
Hi to All,

My first car was a 1973 e9, bought in 1985 in Los Angeles through the local classifieds...Back then, e9's were not a classic, just a good looking used car. Mine came with some minor celebrity heritage-I purchased it from the drummer for the Doors. No, Jim Morrison was never in the car, he died in 1971.

Fjord Blue with navy leather and sheepskin covers, gold BBS rims. Sunroof. Everything worked. Great curb appeal and stance.

I loved, loved, loved that car! Drove it everywhere, all the time, in the rain and whatever. It made countless trips back and forth from LA to La Jolla when I was going to UCSD. I was younger and didn't have rust on the brain.

The car met it's tragic end in April of 1988 when the radio was stolen, and the loose wires shorted out and started a fire. The shell was sold to another couper who had an interior from a wrecked e9, and who knows, maybe she's still out there. I don't have any records from then other than the CA license plate, as it was a custom tag, so if any forum members know how to track this way to add a layer of history to the registry please advise.

Fast forward to today, I'm married with 2 boys, live in a small town, and have an easy commute. My wife thinks having a classic car would be a better distraction for the kids than the iPads...who am I to argue?

I finally joined the forum because even with all of the cars out there we have considered, the e9 still feels special, still beckons every time I spot one. And so we are looking for one. It seems a few have passed through recently before we were ready, such as Rums, that are what we are looking for: a well-sorted manual trans car that needs a new happy home to be well cared for, driven, and enjoyed (this time around, not in the rain).

Thanks for having me as a member, I look forward to getting to know you,

Greg
former '73 3.0cs
hopefull e9er

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Welcome Greg!

It's funny how cars were just cars back when we were younger. 14 years ago I had the holy grail of VW GTI's. Tornado Red 1992 GTI 16V, and I drove it in all seasons, including the snow.

Now my VW loving friends would kill me if they found out I drove it on salty roads. But hey, when I was 18 it was just a GTI!

I hope you find a great coupe soon.