New member says hello

whodat

Reaction score
Excited to be “joining the club”. I’ve been eyeing an E9 to restomod for quite some time and got serious enough to miss out on a couple cars recently and then finally land my car on BaT at the end of March. My guy has picked up the car but I won’t even see it until May at the earliest. Its originally a 70 2800CS and was built to its current hot rod condition in 2009 or thereabouts. Midnight Blue/Beige with a 3.7L carbureted engine. Cams, tranny, suspension, exhaust, chassis, brakes, etc……..all done. The only thing I know I want to do is add a modern AC unit to the car. Happy to take any suggestions on which way to go there. A few months ago…..I thought I’d be buying a solid chassis and building a car like this from scratch so I feel like I’ve jumped to the front of the line so to speak…..but happy to do so. I‘m in the Bay Area of Northern California and plan to drive the car………all the time. Happy Motoring.

Whodat

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Whodat!
My suggestion on AC is don't.
We live in paradise here in the Valley, plus it is an uphill battle.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Neighbor. I just joined the "club" in January. We need to plan a get together

whodat

Reaction score
Wobdog - what size wheel/tire combo are you riding on? My car came with 14” Alpina replicas and I like the fat tire look. I stuck with the 225/60’s that were on it but I have a couple other Bimmers with wheels that I might be able to swap on. Your style 5’s look to have some fat rubber on them which I love.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm in the city so not far. Hopefully you made yesterday's 02 fest in Brisbane. There were a few of the more important regulars in attendance. DM me if you have any general questions. Happy to help.

whodat

Reaction score
tferrer - I have not been staying on top of messages on the forum yet. I’m just getting into this. So far just getting into my car too. Loving it and going to slowly start making it my own. I’m registered for Legends in August in Monterey and hopefully will meet up with many of you down there if not sooner.

whodat

Reaction score
Welcome Whodat!
My suggestion on AC is don't.
We live in paradise here in the Valley, plus it is an uphill battle.
Curious why you say its an uphill battle. I may naively but thinking there’s a modern kit out there to plug in and make the cabin ice cold in summer. I’m not needing a vintage CS original system. What have you run into when looking into AC?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Curious why you say its an uphill battle. I may naively but thinking there’s a modern kit out there to plug in and make the cabin ice cold in summer. I’m not needing a vintage CS original system. What have you run into when looking into AC?
Sort answer is that the space available for the evaporator and ductwork is extremely small, which limits the amount of cold air you can pump into the car.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sort answer is that the space available for the evaporator and ductwork is extremely small, which limits the amount of cold air you can pump into the car.
The other angle covered previously is the greenhouse like cabin. If you close the windows to let the AC cool the car you are fighting the light/heat coming in through the large window area. If I lower the windows there is no greenhouse effect.