New member, Los Angeles

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have fun learning.
I was here for a few years before I picked up my CS. Actually - bought it after seeing a for sale posting here, so you never know...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome @John-T ... we wish you luck on finding the right e9 coupe or e3 for you. my best advice is to buy the very best car you can afford. remember that the least expensive e9 coupe can often turn out to cost significantly more than a moderately expensive coupe ... when brought to the same condition. spend some time in the FAQ learning about where the cars rust and how to spot the conditions. i highly recommend a PPI before buying from a knowledgeable coupe mechanic or a very knowledgeable coupe enthusiast.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WELCOME ABOARD JOHN. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE HELP YOU WILL GET JUST BY ASKING.
NO OTHER FORUM LIKE IT.
TALK SOON..
Harry Malkasian
"Koopman" (User Name)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seconding rsporsche's wise advice. It has been repeated to new member/buyers for decades. A proven strategy, no other. Demand an inspection by a knowledgable coupester.
Our cars are expert at hiding thousands, and I do mean thousands, of dollar$ of work. Even then, the best of us have discovered "surprises" when we got into our seemingly almost perfect coupe.

You are buying into one of the 10 most beautiful cars ever designed.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi John, great advice above about finding the best coupe you can, with the right attributes for you. Look forward to seeing your coupe when you find it!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
To follow up on what happened to me....
(I posted this recently on another thread here - but it applies)

When I started looking for an E9... I was fixated on getting a 3.0 CS or CSi....
I wanted the bigger engine and brakes and... all the later bells and whistles.

So - I ended up with a 2800CS.
LOL

Condition condition condition.

The differences are really not worth worrying about. 99% of the issue is finding the car in the best shape you can. The differences are (looking back now) very trivial - as I recollect on what I was doing when I started my Coupe search in the early 2000's.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have said it before ... there is very little difference between the 2800cs and the 3.0cs. yes there is 200cc engine increase, but slightly lower compression and basically the same HP ... the 2800cs revs up quicker. the 3.0csi has the higher compression and more HP - caution D-jet parts are getting hard to find, but there are options if you have access to a great mechanic (or have @sfdon on speed dial). the primary difference between the 2800cs and the 3.0cs is the brakes - the front is easy to transition to vented discs, the rear is a bit more difficult as you need the rear swing arms from the 3.0cs. if you can find a 2800cs with the brakes already swapped ... you have a great car.

Last edited:

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
welcome @John-T ... we wish you luck on finding the right e9 coupe or e3 for you. my best advice is to buy the very best car you can afford. remember that the least expensive e9 coupe can often turn out to cost significantly more than a moderately expensive coupe ... when brought to the same condition. spend some time in the FAQ learning about where the cars rust and how to spot the conditions. i highly recommend a PPI before buying from a knowledgeable coupe mechanic or a very knowledgeable coupe enthusiast.
Thank you for the great advice.