New Member in Marina

essmeier

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Frank. I'm a recent owner, September 2023, of an E9 project car. The car was purchased through BAT auctions. BAT reference.
My goal is to recreate the car and try to document the process. I'm very grateful that this forum exists. Searching for E9 parts/instructions almost always lands me back here or for some E90 part I don't need. Luckily I also have an E90 so maybe the failed searches will actually be beneficial.
This is a picture of the car as it arrived. It drove into the garage all on its own. The following day it decided it had enough and drained all its brake fluid on the floor. My long journey has begun.
cardropoff.jpeg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness...
Marina - as in California? Cool. I am originally from Salinas but now am up near Seattle.

You will find this group a VERY helpful and entertaining collection of misfits. :)
As to local sources of assistance - You are near-ish one of the worldwide experts up in Alameda. (SFDon). Don managed the work on my E9 and is currently doing a mechanical refresh on my E23. Yeah - one of those old birds...
Back when I lived in the MRY area - I had Monterey Bay Motor Works do all my work - but they are closed now.

Again -Welcome and have fun. These cars can be fun... and frustrating.. but fun. :)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome!

Most of us - E9 freaks - will love to see more pictures and keeping for successful restoration.

According to BAT pictures this car needs a lot of TLC but is a great base for a project.

All Users here will help you with the challenge, helping to point out missing parts.

Good example is the toolbox (despite it is the less important). It would be recommended to unscrew it to avoid further damages. New are available again but many E9 users are keeping it unscrewed due to the weakness of the plastic mounting tabs.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome to your new sanity hangout. we are all crazy, so you will fit in. this forum is one of, if not, the best car forums there are ... largely due to the people that own these cars and contribute. people share what works, where to get it or who to talk to. you will get out what you put in. so do some searches, catch up on your reading ... and ask questions.

i will first point you to the FAQ section of the forum ... there is a ton of detailed information that will help you right off the bat. there are many different threads such as top sources, what has changed during the production model years, standard e9 colors and what year they were used ... tire / wheel styles, sizes, etc.