New Member in Los Altos, CA

FanofBMW3.0CSi

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 3.0CSi that I purchased at the end of 1987. VIN is 2263675. It's registered as a 1973. In the 90s and 2000s I used it for commuting. Then something went wrong with the drive train (I thought) and I let it sit in the garage for years instead of fixing it. So a few months ago I tried to see if it would start. I should have known better since the gas was so old but to my surprise it started and stumbled a bit but seemed to run okay, idling in the garage. I thought I got lucky but when I tried to start it again a couple days later it backfired a few times and refused to start. The mechanic who worked on the car before (he was really good) sold is shop and moved to Hungary. Finding a place willing to work on old cars is not so easy these days but after much searching I found a good shop and they actually got it running without too much effort. The drive train issue turned out just to be a blown rear shock. Shock towers look good, for now. Unfortunately, the backfires blew holes in my muffler. The rear one for sure. The front and intermediate may not have holes but who knows if there is internal damage. I can find the rear and intermediate mufflers but not the front one.
I'm considering getting the stainless steel exhaust from Wallothnesch. Any comments from anyone with experience using this exhaust system are most welcome. I just want something that's equivalent, or pretty close, to stock performance.
Also, all the rubber seals around the doors, windows, trunk, hood, etc. are pretty old now so I'm looking to replace them. Wallothnesch has some; World has some. Some other parts suppliers probably have some. Does it matter much who you buy from? Are they all coming from the same source/manufacturer?
Any inputs are much appreciated.

Thank you,
James G.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi James. Welcome to the discussion. Let's see some pictures of this coupe!

I haven't replaced exhaust yet, but the stainless systems seem like a nice upgrade. There are several here on the forum that have gone the W&N direction and others have purchased systems from Fitz's Bits.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As far as rubber goes, this might help

In general, I would recommend to get most from WN. They are the most likely to have either real BMW stock or very good repros. Notorious exceptions are for the 3 part full door seals which have been NLA for 4+ years. But Stefan at BMW-Oldtimerteile.de has good repros that have been used by several people here.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome FanofBMW3.0CS, there is a group of us that occasionally meet in Los Gatos for Neue Klause and Kaffee. There is also the annual Brisbane swap meet that is this weekend - some of us will be there too. Stay tuned we'll let you know.
Neue Klause and Kaffee

Brisbane swap:

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome neighbor! I too live in Los Altos behind Rancho. We should get together. I will send you a DM with my phone number.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome! I have the WN stainless exhaust and think it’s great. Not too loud with a nice sound. It’s a little trickery to get everything aligned right. I had mine installed by member SFDon in Alameda who knows all the tricks for everything E9 related.

FanofBMW3.0CSi

Reaction score
Welcome! I have the WN stainless exhaust and think it’s great. Not too loud with a nice sound. It’s a little trickery to get everything aligned right. I had mine installed by member SFDon in Alameda who knows all the tricks for everything E9 related.
Thank you for your input. Tricky to install, really? I was hoping it was just a drop in.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. Tricky to install, really? I was hoping it was just a drop in.
It basically is, like any exhaust it might need some massaging but mine was easy, get it all lined up and semi-tight then get the center section as high as it will go and not sagging then tighten it all together. I had a pipe made to replace the middle resonator to give it a little more burble.