New Member! First Time Car Owner :)

aegis

Reaction score
HI! I'm from GA and I just got my first car, which is a 1972 BMW Bavaria. I'm super excited to actually be an owner, but I definitely need some help locating parts (because the one I got is missing a few things) and maybe just help with general maintenance and upkeep.

I'm still super happy I got the car of my dreams, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. Pics please. :D
The forum is filled with knowledge and info. You'll have the car in order in no time.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome! Always room for another E3 owner. I am just up the road from Redmond in Bellingham.

What parts are you looking for?

Is the car running and driving now? Any history on it?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on starting your journey through car ownership with such a classy purchase!

As others have said, folks here are super-knowledgable and helpful. The Technical Info section is quite helpful too - especially the FAQs and Published Sources.

I still refer to the FAQ on parts sources on a regular basis. I also dig into the literature in the published sources section fairly often.

aegis

Reaction score
Here's some pictures I got from the dealership. I might've jumped the gun a bit, the transaction isn't TOTALLY done, but the car will be mine soon

As for parts, I know for a fact the turn indicator stalk is broken, and the kick panel under the steering wheel is missing. I'm also missing a rear door handle thingy (I'm honestly not sure what it's called, it's not the handle but it's near it)

Attachments

• IMG-20230531-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230531-WA0000.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20230531-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230531-WA0003.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 101

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great color! Welcome to the conversation!

as others have said there are a lot of resources here to help you learn and maintain your Bavaria!

important to have an independent shop check it out for safety (brakes, tires, fuel system, etc) as part of the buying process. Can also be a good negotiation tool.

I seem to recall seeing bot items that you mentioned in the parts section here, if not, then a “WTB” (want to buy) can be very effective.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you connect up with Alan Kidson. He runs a shop near Atlanta called German Car Repair, is an old school German car mechanic, and is active with the Sharkfest/e24 people. https://germancarrepair.com/

5280JB

Reaction score
Welcome! What a great color on that Bavaria, and what a great car to choose as your first. Keep us posted as your acquisition journey moves ahead and please, please, more pics when you get a chance!

Jim

aegis

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you connect up with Alan Kidson. He runs a shop near Atlanta called German Car Repair, is an old school German car mechanic, and is active with the Sharkfest/e24 people. https://germancarrepair.com/
Just called them and apparently, they won't work on 72 Bavaria's because the parts are so hard to come by... :(

Thanks for the reference anyways though.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Offer to chase parts for them. This board is a great resource for e3 and e9 parts. We know where to look. I chase parts for my mechanic, otherwise he would be fully retired.

Steve

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just called them and apparently, they won't work on 72 Bavaria's because the parts are so hard to come by... :(

Thanks for the reference anyways though.
Guess I won't be recommending them going forward. Sorry about that.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, to be clear, did you ask them to help with the stalk, kick panel and handle? Best way to find those is to post in the parts section here.