My rocker repair/replacement

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
IMG_0007.JPG
Small patch at the front.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Time for an update.

Fit of the W&N parts is good but their primer stinks...I sanded all my patch panels down and painted them with Eastwood epoxy primer. That part of the outer wheelhouse is a genuine BMW part through W&N...the primer on that is great.

primer.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
It took 4-5 soakings but the eastwood rust remover got my A pillar reinforcement clean and ready for patching. Before-

a pillar.JPG

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I'll be using plug welding for a lot of this, replicating the factory spot welds. I have to say, it's harder than it looks...I did a bunch of testing on scrap and did some research. A larger hole helps, like 3/8, and you really need to focus on getting the arc going on the piece behind.

If not, you'll get a really nice looking plug weld with the hole filled but no real penetration to the piece behind. Some of my early tests...some held and some did not.

plug welds.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I used plug welding along the top, but also seam welded across the top of the inner and intermediate...the factory did this as well in a few spots, I did it for about 2/3 of the length of the rocker.

rocker weld.jpg

Last edited:

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
With the intermediate in I can fit my outer wheelhouse patch. There hasn't been this much structure here in 20 years?

The holes are for plug welding and the edges will be butt welded.

Outer wheelhouse.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never seen that wheelhouse patch before. Would have saved me 20 hours making it myself....
I will send W&N an email. Its not to late. In the end what counts is what we produce, and no one looks at the attempts going in the bin do they?

Regards, Erik

Last edited:

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Thanks Erik! I'll be working and the A and B pillars this week.

The outer wheelhouse piece isn't a patch panel....I bought the full €330 outer wheelhouse from W&N and I'm just using that small section.

I also have a used quarter panel coming this week. It's rusted in the rocker area of course, but I have the lower patch panel from W&N to solve that. That way I get my mid body character line back.

Bavman

Reaction score
Ahh....great thread. So you are the Todd that contacted me about the rear 1/4 piece. Glad it worked out, you are doing some serious work.

Al Taylor

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
OK, on family vacation this week so a little time to update this thread. Still moving forward when I can, in between work and family obligations.

First, my quarter arrived! My 6 year old came with me to pick it up.

Finn.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I cut out the section I needed and did a rough test fit...I couldn't resist seeing the "progress" even though welding it is likely weeks or months away. But it looks great and I have restored that mid panel character line that had been lost.
Quarter test fit.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The B Pillar repair needed now is clear. Here is the W&N patch sitting over the original B pillar....not how the rear lines up nicely.

B Pillar Back.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
The front...not so much....here's where you can see it's pushed in. Now...if this looks bad, I assure you it's not. It will easily push out and the way the quarter panel mounts gives you lots of space to adjust the quarter until it lines up perfectly with the door.

Further, the door latch mechanism is exactly where it should be, it was never affected by the damage.

B Pillar Front.jpg

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
You may recall my A pillar support was in good shape, needing only a small patch at the front.

The W&N piece...
A Pillar Original.jpg