My Hirschmann antenna

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
This past weekend I unearthed my Hirschmann antenna --Wow! I had never seen one up close. A great example of that admirable German over-engineering. It was like an archaeological dig.

It lies behind the sealed chamber...(Is this why E3 don't rust as readliy as E9's?)
P1020684.JPG

There it is!
P1020692.JPG

It's solidly built. I'm certain you could drive over the case without inflicting any damage
P1020740.JPG

Screws are still plated after 35 years. A testament to the car-preserving San Diego weather. I'm a convert to "California cars"

P1020741.JPG

The antler detail is reminiscent of those found on the Porsche crest...
P1020743.JPG

P1020744.JPG

A warning to those desecrating the sarcophagus.
P1020746.JPG

I couldn't resist the urge to open it to see what's inside but the lead seal (just like the old taxi meters) prevented me. I just couldn't get myself to break the seal solely out of curiosity.
P1020754.JPG

P1020753.JPG

P1020758.JPG

P1020748.JPG

P1020747.JPG

This thing is so impressive it even has its own exhaust:shock:
P1020751.JPG

Nicely treated holes where its bracket was secured.
P1020760.JPG

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My car came with one of those and worked well for a while but all of a sudden kicked the bucket - probably form not being used the last 20 years or so - I had to replace. Cool pics, it's in fine shape.

siscobmw

Reaction score
this is the best picture I could desire!
I am fixing an antenna , exactly the same , coming from califorinia , as in europe they are pretty rare....
Luis can I ask you some questions?
can you tell me the lenght of the mast when is fully out?
Is the aerial a 3 piece or a 4 piece mast?
Thank you and , please don't forget those oil canister stuff I asked you.....
best regards, Francesco

siscobmw

Reaction score
huh if you want to see the inside of a 6000H just ask me: I have 4 at home maybe I can turn 4 into a working one......3 comes from some Mercedes benz , so I desecrated it:mrgreen: and I can send you some pics if you want.
Francesco

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside :)

How can I power it up to have the mast come out? It has a red, black and white wire. I can figure out black and red but what do I have to apply to the white so it goes up so I can measure it for you?

Regarding the oil canister, I am still working out the details of the Purolator stencil. Some of the font sizes are too small for the stencil maker so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I have seen, your car is in amazing shape Luis. I have a Hirschmann in mine, but haven't given it a look yet. (keep me posted if ever you tire of E3 ownership)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine was wired to a toggle switch on the steering column - switch up to raise the antenna, switch down to lower, middle was off. Do you have a switch somewhere? I am not sure these vintage antennae were auto-off yet - mine wasn't - so hence my switch to raise and lower. If it were auto the white wire would go to the back of your radio to raise it up and down when the radio is turned on or off.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, the antenna worked fine through the radio when turning it on and off. I was asking since Francesco wants to know how long the mast is and I have it out of the car now (...and the engine, the harness, battery, radio, etc..)

siscobmw

Reaction score
black is the ground the red goes usually on fuse 5, white takes power from radio black and white should let the mast out....soon the pictures of the inside...talking about the switch operated antennas....it depends from which hirschmann you have....there are different versions of the same model..and there are different wiring also...in my garage i have versions with only two wires,thre wires and also 5 wires..hirschmann, bosch, lucas, unicars, NA...my question about lenght of the mast went out when i saw the same model with different mast lenght and pieces,2 are 90cm/35-36inches divided in 3pieces,the other 2 are about 34 inches and 4 pieces....i'd like to know which is the original mast...