My 73 mod 3,0SI Wont start when hot.

Jan-Arve Enoksen

Reaction score
Hi
Hope to get some suggestions from you guys. My 3,0 Si starts fine and runs fine. BUT if i stop it after running for 20 min or more ,it wont start until it has cooled down for a while. I havent checked fuel and ignition at that stage yet. Any suggestians will be appreciated. Where do i start to look?
Thanks

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
starter solenoid getting too hot? Check for bad grounds on that starter. May need a new solenoid.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Explain the symptoms, does it turn over?

I'm not familiar enough with djet to know if it has a hot/cold start feature.

If it turns over, pull a spark plugs and see if it's wet.

Jan-Arve Enoksen

Reaction score
Engine turns over.I have not checked spark plugs or fuel yet. But if i wait for 20-30 minutes ,it starts like normal again. As long as it runs , there are no problems. Only if i turn it of when it has normal cooling temp .

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When it won’t start-

Crank the car when hot and listen for injectors clicking at each injector using a screwdriver held to your ear.

Key on - operate throttle linkage at throttle body. Listen for injectors clicking.

Crank the car with a spark plug on your valve cover inserted into the coil wire end

Jan-Arve Enoksen

Reaction score
When it won’t start-

Crank the car when hot and listen for injectors clicking at each injector using a screwdriver held to your ear.

Key on - operate throttle linkage at throttle body. Listen for injectors clicking.

Crank the car with a spark plug on your valve cover inserted into the coil wire end
Thanks
Will try these suggestions. What is the solution if it is these thing(s)?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
okay, it's not spark or your starter.
The Si system relies on fuel pressure but when the car gets hot, the rail gets hot and you get a version of vapor lock. 99% of the time, you can replace the fuel pressure regulator, and it wouldn't hurt to be a 5psi higher. otherwise, your fuel pump is getting tired and can't re-pressurize the line with the hot fuel vapors at the engine. Modern gas tends to vaporize at less than 35psi when it's over 120*f

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just test for them.
No reason to write a book of solutions if neither is the problem.

Jan-Arve Enoksen

Reaction score
okay, it's not spark or your starter.
The Si system relies on fuel pressure but when the car gets hot, the rail gets hot and you get a version of vapor lock. 99% of the time, you can replace the fuel pressure regulator, and it wouldn't hurt to be a 5psi higher. otherwise, your fuel pump is getting tired and can't re-pressurize the line with the hot fuel vapors at the engine. Modern gas tends to vaporize at less than 35psi when it's over 120*f
Thanks. I will look at that too. I already suspect fuel pump or pressure ,but would check here first for possible solutions.
I will report back when i have solved it.