Mustang II IFS swap

CooperF450

Reaction score
Hello E3 World:

I’m Putting together a project on paper and I’m held up on the front suspension. Has anyone attempted to install a mustang II type independent front suspension into a E3?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First question that comes to mind... why?
Exactly, I wasn't sure if I was reading the question right. Some of the best race cars in their era used a modified version of the original front end and you want to do WHAT? Mustang???? Cough Cough.....Huh? Maybe for a later model American hot rod...But on an E3/E9? Ummmmmmm.....Hmmmm....hopefully that answers your question. There are all kind of things I'd do before that even entered my mind.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Mustang II suspension I think in the context I'm familiar with is basically put in a rack and pinion.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Mustang II front suspension is double A arm, so on paper at least, more "sophisticated" than the E9 strut front suspension. Struts are a cheap, sturdy solution to reduce manufacturing costs, not ideal for suspension geometry.

That being said, many cars in addition to the E9 (911's come to mind) perform pretty well with struts.

My apologies to the OP for not having any practical info...i think the challenge will be how to mount the upper arm. The E9 sort of has frame rails up there, I wonder how the width of those compares to the Mustang.

CooperF450

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Todd - I figured there was a slim chance getting info on such a project.

I need to maximize the engine bay for my new power plant - I think I have the brake system squared away, but the steering is something I need to work out - rack & pinnion is where I want to go, so logically (to me) it makes sense to remove the strut towers for a mustang II type IFS. There are a ton of kits on the market that should work - I was just hoping on getting enough info to push me in one direction or another.

I’ve spoken to Bill Arnold (local BMW Bavaria guru) and he had options for installing a rack & pinnion with the stock front clip, but that would be a reluctant last resort.

Bavman

Reaction score
Probably going e21 or Alfa rack on one of my track cars...both are rear steer so so be pretty straightforward..

Al

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on your username, you are a Ford guy. This is probably common knowledge for you...

I'm all for modifying the e3, but the Mustang II is THE most sought after and beloved Mustang in the history of the vehicle. They command top dollar and you may receive dirty looks if anyone ever discover that you pillaged one.

:D :p