More parts vendor bad news

Honolulu

Reaction score
I just today received a letter from TradeMotion, a company that apparently operates the payment functions of various auto parts suppliers, stating they have been hacked and data lost. Natch, they aren't saying in the letter whose payment system was compromised, but an online search for "Trademotion BMW" turns them up quite frequently. The letter indicates that an unauthorized person breached the system five times between October 2017 and May 2018. Steps are being taken, etc.

TradeMotion offers a year-long free subscription to LifeLock. BUT... LifeLock itself was acquired a couple years ago by Symantec (big security outfit, Norton is one of their brands) and THEY were hacked not long ago as well.

Anyone using a site that subbed their online payment system to TradeMotion had probably ought to review their credit card statements, consider freezing their credit reporting, etc. Surely we have all heard this before.

To me, offering services of an already compromised company as partial compensation for a data compromise, is double.... something and not at all good.

YMMV

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i got the same letter yesterday ... and i have no idea who trade motion is or what company that i bought from that they own.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I just today received a letter from TradeMotion, a company that apparently operates the payment functions of various auto parts suppliers, stating they have been hacked and data lost.

TradeMotion offers a year-long free subscription to LifeLock. BUT... LifeLock itself was acquired a couple years ago by Symantec (big security outfit, Norton is one of their brands) and THEY were hacked not long ago as well.

I received the same TradeMotion letter and the same LifeLock offer. I have received several offers for free LifeLock in the last few years, and have the same concerns about sending my SSN to a company that has been hacked.

Last edited:

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the same letter, too. I did have some unauthorized charges a few months ago, but my bank reversed them immediately. Definitely stay on top of your history. With so much money going out, it's difficult to keep an eye on every purchase.