Mixing transmission Oil

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 with a 4 speed takes 1.2 quarts of transmission oil. Red Line MTL and everything else comes in 1 quart bottles. Anybody have a trick to stretch 1 quart of MTL to 1.2 qts so one doesn't have to buy 2 qts. and waste most of the second? Can a non-syn GL 4 oil (if it can be found) be mixed with a synthetic? (I'm not cheap...just trying to make the most efficient use of resources...so I can save up to buy a $200 ignition switch, among other things...) Thanks.

'74 3.0CS #4310008, webers
'89 Saab Turbo
'95 Saturn SL 2
'06 Mazda MX 5

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 with a 4 speed takes 1.2 quarts of transmission oil. Red Line MTL and everything else comes in 1 quart bottles. Anybody have a trick to stretch 1 quart of MTL to 1.2 qts so one doesn't have to buy 2 qts. and waste most of the second? Can a non-syn GL 4 oil (if it can be found) be mixed with a synthetic? (I'm not cheap...just trying to make the most efficient use of resources...so I can save up to buy a $200 ignition switch, among other things...) Thanks.

'74 3.0CS #4310008, webers
'89 Saab Turbo
'95 Saturn SL 2
'06 Mazda MX 5

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I typically mix MTL 50/50 with standard tranny fluid. I have heard straight MTL can be hard on the seals. Anyway, I have had no issues doing this, but my coupe also has an upgraded 5 speed.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I typically mix MTL 50/50 with standard tranny fluid. I have heard straight MTL can be hard on the seals. Anyway, I have had no issues doing this, but my coupe also has an upgraded 5 speed.