Missing Relay

MarksE9

Reaction score
Hi All,

My car finally arrived and as expected, lots of work to do. However that's what I enjoy so no problem. I last owned an E9 Coupe about 25 years ago so I'm very much in the learning process. My first question is about a missing relay. Can someone tell me what it does and help identify it's part number etc? Please take a look at the picture attached showing the plug it comes from and tell me what you can. My car is a 1969 (June) 2800CS LHD Euro Manual 4 spd.

Mark.

attachment.php

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Is there human blood where that relay fit?

lol!

Your pic does not show here Mark, perhaps you need to display the native URL?

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

MarksE9

Reaction score
No Picture?

Hi Ran, picture should have been in the body of the message, it showed when I did a prepost preview so don't know what happened. I've attached it to this one so lets see this time! There are 2 relays adjacent to the battery, it's the one nearest the power steer reservoir. As for human blood I think there will be plenty of mine as time goes by!

Attachments

• RELAY.jpg
    RELAY.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 122

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the two relays should be the high beams and the horn relays. See if these functions work in your car. Maybe the car was Italian delivery where horns are superflous :).

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Like the Fiat's didn't the italian versions have twin horns?

Reference to blood had to do with a previous posting I recall where the relay was in situ and the blood on it was evidence of what many classic BMW owners say is the cost of stewardship!

Cheers!

Ran

PS Might it be the intermittent wipers?

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some cars have a low-beam relay, as my 74 does, located under the voltage regulator...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stan
Have your registered your coupe at
www.e9-driven.com ?
Hi Stan,

Yep, did that some weeks ago. It's 2201885

There's got to be some sort of new 'rule' Stan, about Staff at least checking to see if indeed it's registered before you ask... isn't there...? Seems reasonable... I know and realize you are working harder than anyone to bulk it up Registry wise ...
but it saves face to at least bother to check first to see if it's been done, before asking... lest be thought a pest?

Picture5-8.png

...at sometimes in all things, all one has is face, eh?

lol and Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I see your point. I guess it is still safe to ask the question if the poster did not post a VIN number.

I see what you are saying Stan, that it's perhaps difficult for you, without knowing the VIN, if indeed it's registered. Point taken...

There might be available (from the data) a cross reference between the member's screen name (or some such) to determine the relationship between the individual and VIN and the actual car it represents?

Data is often useful in ways not immediately apparent. (quote from the NASA manual?) This is where the design of the Registry (at the outset) is key I feel (and felt originally if you recall) to a 'successful' outcome, which is the goal of all of us.

Cheers and thanks again for your service Stan...

Ran

jhjacobs

Reaction score
... lest be thought a pest?

Pest? Who's a pest? :twisted:

Registry Etiquette 101:

1. When in doubt about registration, ask.
2. Register your coupe and if you have more than one register them all.
3. Upload Pics if you got 'em.
4. Edit the registry if something changes.
5. Don't register thy neighbors coupe unless you want him to register yours.
6. Send in all goofy ideas, they may get implemented.

Happy New Year to All!