Metal locking windscreen strips

nealf

Reaction score
Hi: After removing both front and back glass for repaint on my Bavaria, I really did make the locking strips a little distorted.I think they are the same on a coupe. Has anyone reused them and does anyone have a trick or method of bending them back into place for reinstallment? Also, is there a tool to use to reinstall? Photo is of my buddy working on the rear window last night. His truck is in the background, 1976 MB 407D, which he imported a few years back from Germany. The German equivalent of a FEMA city emergency vehicle. Thanks.

9d6df4553231362f3f625e50588965b1.jpg

nf

'70 2800CS
'72 Bavaria 3.0
'73 2002

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I asked this question earlier and the response was "don't use the metal strips".Evidently they make installing the windshield gasket more difficult.It looks like just using a good glue should hold headliner material in place until gasket is installed.But if you must have clips Walloth & Nesch sell them.They kinda look like the clips that hold the front window trim pieces on.

nealf

Reaction score
No I am talking about the strip

OVER the rubber windscreen gaskets, not the metal cage holding the headliner in (which I removed to put the rear window in)

Honolulu

Reaction score
Re: No I am talking about the strip

well if I was wanting to compare two parts, I'd look up each of them on the online microfiche.

www.realoem.com

but there are others, whose URL escapes me just now.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
My experience is that the coupe filler strips bend out of shape easily and back into shape reluctantly. Unlike 2002s, where the plastic fillers are installed after the glass/rubber is in the car, the only way I have heard of for coupes is to install the rubber on the glass, then the metal filler strips and finaly the whole assembly into the car.

Personally, I'm going to use a pro and one who has done a lot of these. Fortunately, there is a guy here in the Washington, DC area who is very good.

From what I have seen on several E9s, the shape of the front windshield opening does not fit the front windshield itself real closely, making the job even more of a challenge.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Who's the guy in DC? I was planning on using a pro to install my glass but doubt they have ever done a coupe so someone who has experience would be much better.