MB Door Brake Question

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did anyone cut down the original support plate ( next to the MB door brake in the image) for the door brake when they did their MB replacement or was the MB just plug and play other than adjusting the pin insert?

Also are the rubber boots over the pin worth buying?

There seems to be differences in how these are mounted. I have seen forum pictures where the open face is facing the door and the open face is facing the interior. In my doors, they fit either way. Comments welcome.

IMG_0856.JPG

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original brake had the support plate shown in the image. If nobody has had an issue with the door bending at the attachment site of the new brake within the door, then I guess it is not needed.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The original brake had the support plate shown in the image. If nobody has had an issue with the door bending at the attachment site of the new brake within the door, then I guess it is not needed.

Some of my issues may have been 74 oddities. The indentions in the plate interfered when using the MB Brake bolt-on points. I didn’t want to test whether plate was needed, so I flattened the plates out. Everything then fit correctly. I also had to cut off the tab on the rear of the door brake b/c it was hitting the door support. The original & a W&N pin sleeve were too large for the MB hole, but I went to ACE & found some I made work. Sounds more complicated than it was.