Manual steering 2800

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My '69 2800 has a manual steering box. How common was that in the early cars? It's weird putting on a belt that only goes around the crank, water pump and alternator.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would think that is pretty rare, I assume it has a US VIN? Do you have the build date, does it have leather and A/C?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Built around early August 1969, #29 of 708 thru 19/70. Probably very few 69s as by Sep they were 70 models.

I’ve seen a few manual steering boxes with ‘68/‘69 cast into them. I still need the shaft for mine if anyone has a spare.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
First year of importing was almost all 2500's, I don;'t think I have seen a 68 or 69 2500 in the US that wasn't manual steering, mine is.
2800's started next, I've never owned a 68 but my 69 and 70 were both PS cars. Never had a Bavaria or 3.0S or Si that was manual steer.
Does your 2800 have all the extra trim (metal sill plates, large rocker moldings, that pot metal lump on the edge of the trunk lid) ?

What Chris said, pretty darned uncommon.

Oh, f.w.i.w. most of those early manual steer boxes were completely different from the CSL manual. Important enough it bears repeating

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few manual steering boxes with ‘68/‘69 cast into them. I still need the shaft for mine if anyone has a spare.
Mark, do you know if the E3/E9 steering shafts are interchange-able? Need for your CS or a sedan?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, do you know if the E3/E9 steering shafts are interchange-able? Need for your CS or a sedan?

I don't actually. I have this unverified idea in my head that the e3 shaft is longer, and I can have an axle shop cut and re-spline it. I need a shaft first. Manual e9 shafts aren't exactly plentiful. Alternatively, it won't take much to either lengthen an existing shaft or fabricate a new one.

Since yours is RHD, I will say that these are different from LHD. This section of the blue book is helpful.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would do that before killing myself to find a crazy rare OE part.

One good thing about lengthening your existing steering shaft is that you can make it collapsible like all modern driveshafts, and RHD E9 driveshafts (see link above).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi HB Chris, little off topic here but where's a good source to look up you VIN number to get the info of the vehicle? 3131016
cheers

Chris is out of pocket for about a week. In this case, he isn't actually looking up the VIN, he is looking up the relative placement of the VIN, either by the published VIN ranges by BMW, or the E3 registry. If you want your specific VIN info, you need to email: [email protected]

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris is out of pocket for about a week. In this case, he isn't actually looking up the VIN, he is looking up the relative placement of the VIN, either by the published VIN ranges by BMW, or the E3 registry. If you want your specific VIN info, you need to email: [email protected]
Ok great ill reach out to the email you provided thanks for the info.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You do have power steering; it's the large diameter factory steering wheel ;)
Yeah, no kidding. All I've done so far is steer it into the garage a couple times and was thinking all along that it would be easier when it's running. Ha! That's okay, I can use the exercise...