M5 Guibo fail

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The whole point of the points (arrows) is for the tranny to be pushing or driving the thick part of the guibo.

lloyd

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen
I’m preparing to swap my 265 for a better 265 and discovered my Guibo going bad.
It’s a e34 m5 guibo
Probably under 5000 miles on it, maybe more
Looking up numbers I found a few,
26112226527 I want a good one ... Jurid? The best per past posts.

View attachment 74668

Help me out I don’t want to buy junk parts

Thanks

Without additional images of the giubo, I would not be so quick to condemn it as "going bad." (I have yet to see a giubo "going good") Per Andrew's observation, rag joints are the so-called weak link in the drive train and designed to absorb repeated shock, loads and naturally-occurring abuse.

If the pictured rag joint is reinforced, as I suspect it is, your joint is far from being at the end of its lifespan, despite the cracks. I know of one daily driver that has been nursing a similar looking giubo for the past two decades, and as best the owner (not me) can tell, the cracking is superficial, i.e., shallow. Unlike the non-reinforced solid rubber donut-style giubos, the reinformed joints do not fall to pieces without fair warning. Obviously, if given the choice, a non-cracked unit is preferred over one with cracks. Looking "pristine" is a fair indication of condition, but it is no guarantee of longevity, considering all of the discussion regarding "German-made" rubber parts. Besides, enough missed shifts, abrupt clutch engagements and parking in gear on steep inclines can shorten the life of virtually any rubber joint. The same logic applies to improper handling and installation.

Since you plan to replace your giubo, try destroying it with long pry bars and you may be surprised to discover its true strength. o_O

attachment.php

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914069

yx8sp209xis21.jpg

pic10.jpg

attachment.php

Solid rubber "donut" style different than depicted in original post.
Matra_ms7_rag_joint.jpg

Last edited:

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
I understand. The point of it being that you should be tightening the nut, not the bolt, and having the nut on the flange saves the rubber from getting stressed from the turning nut. That picture shows one of two things- Either the person who installed it didn't understand the concept I just mentioned, or they got everything in place and then realized that they forgot to put three bolts in the guibo before getting everything lined up and said F it.

reedreed

Reaction score
Using a long nosed manual driveshaft with a m5 guibo manual Install can result in a gap that gives a guibo a wavy distorted appearance. That wave is caused by the difference in thickness of a stock guibo (45mm) and an m5 guibo (35mm)
Inserting factory bmw head bolt washers into the gap solves the problem.

Also- instructions are explicit and nobody seems to read them.... never tighten the bolts! The nuts get tightened.
This preloads the guibo. Not good.

And finally - guibos have arrows for a reason. Put them on backwards and they crack and then come apart.
I still have a few questions if possible:
1- if I install 35mm M5 guibo should I still keep the parts ## 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 on a diagram installed or m5 centering bushing 26 11 7 526 611 should be installed or nothing?
2- which bolt length needed 60, 62 or 70mm?
3- what's the ring #11 on a diagram for? And what's a bolt length used in original setup? (45 for guibo+ 10 for nut+ 12 for flange+ 2 for washer+ X for #2 ring= ???)
4- where exactly head bolts washers should be installed? Some pictures would be nice.

Thanks a lot!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I still have a few questions if possible:
1- if I install 35mm M5 guibo should I still keep the parts ## 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 on a diagram installed or m5 centering bushing 26 11 7 526 611 should be installed or nothing?
2- which bolt length needed 60, 62 or 70mm?
3- what's the ring #11 on a diagram for? And what's a bolt length used in original setup? (45 for guibo+ 10 for nut+ 12 for flange+ 2 for washer+ X for #2 ring= ???)
4- where exactly head bolts washers should be installed? Some pictures would be nice.

Thanks a lot!

I used an M5 guibo for my 5-speed swap, here's a link to the parts I used, might be of some help, maybe.