M49/M88 Vertical Mounting Question (transmission)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I’m curious to know what BMW motorsport did to mate the transmission up to an M49 or M88 without the 30 degree block angle. Did they have a custom bellhousing or a clocking ring?

6E9CA93F-AE6E-4A9C-A630-B0104F8AB8D0.jpeg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had the chance to drive Henry Schmitt's CSL a few years ago and the transmission is rotated slightly to the right. The shift pattern remains the same but it was a bit strange to have the shift lever canted and the shift motion askew. Here's the video of that experience:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the chance to drive Henry Schmitt's CSL a few years ago and the transmission is rotated slightly to the right. The shift pattern remains the same but it was a bit strange to have the shift lever canted and the shift motion askew. Here's the video of that experience:

Good Info! Amazing video. I fast forwarded right after you mentioned the brake issue and landed on the block issues! Wasn’t expecting that! Henry’s car is amazing and extra special now AFAIK. I also think it is worth mentioning again that Bill Watson is the chief mechanic for this CSL, since his name has come up on the forum
before.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is #25 from a couple of shots at Turbo Hoses where they were working on it, the "new" #24 car he was building up there and the 320 turbo.

Snapped a few of the drive train for #24 that may show that trans anomaly?

20190509_120713.jpg

20190318_091232.jpg
20190318_091324.jpg
20190318_092743.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I really don't know much about this but I did find this. Shows how the engine would be mounted with the valve cover flat. Is that 90 degrees?
Transmission/ trans-axle in the M1 was via five-speed ZF DS25 gearbox, Fichtel & Sachs hydraulic twin-plate clutch and limited-slip differential.

Here's a photo of the trans-axle used in the M1 and I assume the DS25 trans.
There's an older gentleman that sometimes works for Bobby Rahal on the classic BMW's that Rahal maintains for BMW. I've met him but can't think of his name.
He has worked on just about everything. Lance White might know and so would Scott Hughes.
Someone on here should know?

1579625208687.png

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is #25 from a couple of shots at Turbo Hoses where they were working on it, the "new" #24 car he was building up there and the 320 turbo.

Snapped a few of the drive train for #24 that may show that trans anomaly?

View attachment 84990

Good pics. Lots of custom stuff under there. I don’t recognize the transmission case.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
I really don't know much about this but I did find this. Shows how the engine would be mounted with the valve cover flat. Is that 90 degrees?
Transmission/ trans-axle in the M1 was via five-speed ZF DS25 gearbox, Fichtel & Sachs hydraulic twin-plate clutch and limited-slip differential.

Here's a photo of the trans-axle used in the M1 and I assume the DS25 trans.
There's an older gentleman that sometimes works for Bobby Rahal on the classic BMW's that Rahal maintains for BMW. I've met him but can't think of his name.
He has worked on just about everything. Lance White might know and so would Scott Hughes.
Someone on here should know?

View attachment 84987

That's indeed the ZF transaxle as i had in my Pantera GT5S , but mounted upside down in those. Of course not relevant for a E9 with a engine in front and in my case mounted to a Cleveland V8. I remember it was the most expensive part in a Pantera..... :)
( also used in the Ford GT40 and some single seater race cars )

ZF #9425 001.JPG

ZF #9425 002.JPG

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was enjoying the music and noticed Jorma was playing guitar. Easily one of the best rockers to come out of the SF area. The Airplane was the only band I ever saw warm up for the Dead that I really enjoyed!