LYR100K 3.0 CS those little jobs......

mr bump

Reaction score
I've decided to spend a bit of time on "kieser" before I start my last full resto on a 85 911 turbo cabriolet. Bearing in mind the cs had a massive resto some 14 yrs ago and the cars only done 54k, I'm doing little jobs that have never been done.
I need to sort and add some wiring as I'm adding a dashcam and reverse camara so instead of having ugly cables dangling around, I'm hiding them.
So the dash had to come out and found a build date stamp on the underside.
A stop down and a re-laqure has made the dash look like new. The clocks panel and speaker grill have received the same treatment.
20180930_174251.jpg
20180930_174251.jpg
20180930_174141.jpg
20180930_174121.jpg

mr bump

Reaction score
I've looked at the dash closely today, and decided to make a few, be daft not to me Being a carpenter all my life (30+ yrs). There's a fair bit of work in them but will be time consuming especially where the vaneerin is concerned.
Would any other member be interested in one?

mr bump

Reaction score
......and you got the dash out without taking the windscreen out. Well done on that.
Why is it a hard job? I lifted it up one side, gave it a little jiggle and it came out pretty easy. It's only plywood so it's quite supple.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i would think there would be a desire for the front wood portion as most could be rebuilt without too much effort.
yet the wood with the finger grips would be good for the 74's and stuff that have the plastic section.
and easy to install as the dash wouldnt even have to come out
you would have to cut the end back screws
since my cars not here
i wondering how the bottom chrome trim would work with the wood

mr bump

Reaction score
Not far off George Harrison of Beatles fame, his reg was LYR111K I believe!
Yes, George wanted an 8 track and wolfrace wheels fitting to his by the dealership before he took delivery otherwise his would have been 101k. Theres 2 E3s and some 2002s in between, BMW park lane were a busy dealership back in 72. I've dealt with the American lad who bought georges 111k, I supplied some parts to him a few years ago when he started the restoration. "Sister cars" as he put it.

mr bump

Reaction score
So, after around 5 minute deliberation, I've decided to strip out the interior completely!
I'm after a new carpet set, the original one is passable, but I want new. The dash is done and looks spot on, so is the dial panel.
Rear and door wood cappings are next as it the console tray panel.
I spend a good 3 hours taking up the old original bitumen floor sound deadening, bloody hard work even with a hot air gun! So advice from you chaps is now needed on new sound deadening, which is best? A modern type or a bitumen type like the original?
What type of carpet underlay do I need to use? Thickness and grade?
Next job is make new wood boot/trunk panels, what is the exact colour of the vynal covering of the panels?
Any help on the above is greatly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181009-101152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-101152_Gallery.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20181009-101139_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-101139_Gallery.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot_20181009-101129_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-101129_Gallery.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 112

mr bump

Reaction score
A bit more done. There's a lot a old waxoyl that looks like rust, but the drivers side footwell floor is rust tho, and a 1" square hole.

mr bump

Reaction score
Screenshot_20181018-101715_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181018-101744_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181018-101757_Gallery.jpg
anyone else decided to do one of those "little jobs" which turn into a major cut out and renew?? What was a inch square hole is not major surgery.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
" anyone else decided to do one of those "little jobs" which turn into a major cut out and renew?? "

It's why my build thread is called 'fixing that little rust hole". I started 6 years ago....I like to think i'm halfway.

mr bump

Reaction score
Oh dear.......the oppressive side floor pan is solid and shows no signs what so ever of any rot or rust......so as soon as I've finished the drivers side I shall be taking the other side gill cover off to inspect that, just to be on the safe side. But the general sound of things is that these e9s rot, even like mine with a mere 54k miles 5 owners and had a major resto in 93. So what was good metal 25 yrs ago has not turned to lace. Oh well, I suppose it keeps me.out the wife's way.

mr bump

Reaction score
" anyone else decided to do one of those "little jobs" which turn into a major cut out and renew?? "

It's why my build thread is called 'fixing that little rust hole". I started 6 years ago....I like to think i'm halfway.
Where is your thread Erik? Can you post a link up? I'm going to need some inspiration!