loud whining noise from electric window motor

pmansson

Reaction score
I have had the motor and regulator out for service.
I installed new U-shaped felt liner in the chrome vent window holder.
I now have a slow operation with a loud whining? noise from the motor.......!!!

Any ideas of a remedy???

pmansson

Reaction score
With my stetoscope I located the shrieking noise to the gearbox.
I will now remove the entire window regulator and change the gearbox and see what happens. I know that the teeth of the cogwheel for emergency purposes was too tight against the window mechanism. I had to sand the edge of the teeth off.
I will now check the entire "driveline" of the motor and see if it´s straight for a start.
Will share my findings on the board.

pmansson

Reaction score
The noise came from the emergency gogwheel which was scraping against the regulator.
I managed to cut if off while in place, using a carpet knife. The base is still there but not touching anything.
The problem of the cogwheel was there when I assembled the parts. It was scraping against the regulator. I then filed it down to what I thought was small enough to clear the regulator.
Now I know more!
Anyway, I think that the rubber clutch is good enough to turn/assist if the electics fail. Often it is a question of getting off the "startline" before it takes off on its own.
These cars are very individual !!!!

nashvillecat

Reaction score
The noise came from the emergency gogwheel which was scraping against the regulator.
I managed to cut if off while in place, using a carpet knife. The base is still there but not touching anything.
The problem of the cogwheel was there when I assembled the parts. It was scraping against the regulator. I then filed it down to what I thought was small enough to clear the regulator.
Now I know more!
Anyway, I think that the rubber clutch is good enough to turn/assist if the electics fail. Often it is a question of getting off the "startline" before it takes off on its own.
These cars are very individual !!!!

You did not disclose whether you were referring to the front or rear windows.

If its any comfort to you, from time to time I have heard the same shrill sound from the right rear window. When that sound occurs, the motor is obviously turning but the window remains unmoved. (This seems different from your problem.)

Each time I removed the access panel to observe the mechanism with the sound, I was unable to find or duplicate the problem. I lubricated the motor, its gearing and the window track, but it did not seem to make any difference. The window would operate normally for weeks and then - without warning: "shriek." I have assumed something was stripped, but could never find any hard evidence of that.

Now that you mention rubber clutch, I remember strongly suspecting it changes with age and ambient conditions and it may occasionally slip and thereby create the offensive sound. I am not aware of a means of reconditioning the rubber anymore than I know how to recondition old tires without re-vulcanizing them. So, I have lived with the off and on problem.

FWIW.

pmansson

Reaction score
It was on the driver´s door.
The rubber "clutches" are available new from either W&N or Maximilian. I cannot remember where I bought them. Yes, the rubber does dry, but this does not disturb their function. They have hard plastic ends with a hole with part flat opening to join the motor shaft and gearbox shaft. The dry rubber just means it is more difficult to turn them with a finger or two.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
It was on the driver´s door.
The rubber "clutches" are available new from either W&N or Maximilian. I cannot remember where I bought them. Yes, the rubber does dry, but this does not disturb their function. They have hard plastic ends with a hole with part flat opening to join the motor shaft and gearbox shaft. The dry rubber just means it is more difficult to turn them with a finger or two.

I have not closely examined either the front or rear window motors for quite some time, but I vaguely remember the rears had a semi hard black rubber "nose" above the white pinion gear. The rubber nose was shaped differently from the fronts. I could be mixing up motors with those used in newer models. Any idea if the rubber portions are interchangeable (front and rear) and whether they are a "slipon" or "friction" fit?

The realoem diagram does not depict the "nose" (No.8 ) the way I remember it, but it does indicate "production discontinued." As I tried the windows today, and they function quietly and smoothly, I will leave well enough alone.

MTk1NDVfcA==.png
32.png