Lorelei will be available for purchase

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good luck Gary!

So far all the BaT comments have been, as they should, been positive. With a large dash of envy. I predict north of $85,000.

Steve

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best coupe I have seen on BAT, but it is certainly my favorite...I know this will be popular for the lurkers that "know the difference" and will do extremely well for you Gary.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the nice comments. Unfortunately, at this phase of 'life' it is best for someone else to be the caretaker.

The e9 will always be near the top of the favorite cars I've owned over 69 years of driving (The e9 and the Porsche 928 are the only two models that I've owned/driven 3 or more of). Interestingly, these two marque/models both have FABULOUS forums with extremely knowledgeable owners who are extremely willing to share that knowledge. To me that is a significant part of the joy of ownership. (e.g. Even though I sold the last 928 five years ago, I still attend an annual/regional meet of about 70 owners being held this weekend in the DC area).

Cheers,

Gary--

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Wish you good luck Gary on BAT... perhaps indeed good timing as Rob @teahead says….... E9's are imho , a bit bubble blown….. it's a nice car to see, but not "that" spectacular to drive... unless you make a rally car of it ;)

Sorry , i'm speaking here against the forum "idea" … but i have my oem restored blue CS and never took that car for a "fun" trip... i stays a tin top on sunny days … nothing to really enjoy, sure no HP's...….or steering …. i just do not understand the E9 fetish.....yes, perhaps they are Nirvana to restore with W&N backup for rusted plates and parts … as so many members here …..to garage queens for a next generation that won't be allowed to drive them anymore... probably.

Gary , you & i share the Porsche 928 "love".... that's another "light" car , with a least 300 HP..... and good torque out of the V8 ......so much more fun.... for a oldie.

Now, do i get banned ? o_O

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry,

How could anyone who uses their car in a spirited/competitive manner that you do EVER be banned????

I'm sure you know that I agree regarding the 928 (had 6 of them over 15 years, ranging from '87 S4 through '94 GTS). They were (and probably still are) VERY underappreciated cars. When I started driving mine on the various race tracks here, and consistently passing similar vintage 911's, I've thought the 'rear engine' Porsche aficionados of the '70's and 80's were too biased to seriously evaluate the car. Thus, it floundered in the market place. Over the past few years, they have started to appreciate significantly in price here in the US.

Cheers,

Gary--

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Gary ... i think its going to do amazingly well. already at 41k in 1 day. i think it should get right up there with that granatrot

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry , i'm speaking here against the forum "idea" … but i have my oem restored blue CS and never took that car for a "fun" trip... i stays a tin top on sunny days … nothing to really enjoy, sure no HP's...….or steering …. i just do not understand the E9 fetish.....yes, perhaps they are Nirvana to restore with W&N backup for rusted plates and parts … as so many members here …..to garage queens for a next generation that won't be allowed to drive them anymore... probably.

Gary , you & i share the Porsche 928 "love".... that's another "light" car , with a least 300 HP..... and good torque out of the V8 ......so much more fun.... for a oldie.

Now, do i get banned ? o_O

@Belgiumbarry,

I think that much of the e9 lust comes from the fact that e9’s are for the most part, undeniably beautiful. The 928 has a polarizing aesthetic to this day. Some people grew to appreciate their style, but a lot of people still think they are ugly as hell. Then you have the Porsche crowd and thoughts on a water cooled V8 up front vs a rear mounted air cooled six. Why buy a 928 when I
can buy a 930? HP and handling is only part of the equation. For the vast majority of the population, aesthetics and interior comfort take precedence over driveability. On top of all that, you are comparing 1978 tech to 1968 tech. Why is the Datsun 240z so much more desireable than the 280z, when the 280z is technically superior? Why would someone want a 1993 Ford Mustang over a 1995 (or why would anyone want a 90’s Ford)?

I have loved the 928 since I was a child. I’ve never driven one, and know very little about their capabilities. So you can infer that I appreciate their looks. With that said, I don’t find it the least bit surprising that some people think they are ugly and want nothing to do with them. No offense to you or @Gary Knox. I would loved to have owned one.

As for the e9, I know you really want people here to be against you thrashing your e9 on dirt tracks, but you aren’t finding that audience here. The fact is that a sizable chunk of remaining e9’s are in race car form. Nobody discourages this, and most of the cars receive much positive attention. The e9 put BMW on the map in US motorsport, and paved the way for the BMW Motorsport division. Rally on!

Last edited:

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
@Belgiumbarry,

I think that much of the e9 lust comes from the fact that e9’s are for the most part, undeniably beautiful. The 928 has a polarizing aesthetic to this day. Some people grew to appreciate their style, but a lot of people still think they are ugly as hell. Then you have the Porsche crowd and thoughts on a water cooled V8 up front vs a rear mounted air cooled six. Why buy a 928 when I
can buy a 930? HP and handling is only part of the equation. For the vast majority of the population, aesthetics and inferior comfort take precedence over drive ability. On top of all that, you are comparing 1978 tech to 1968 tech. Why is the Datsun 240z so much more desireable than the 280z, when the 280z is technically superior? Why would someone want a 1993 Ford Mustang over a 1995 (or why would anyone want a 90’s Ford)?

I have loved the 928 since I was a child. I’ve never driven one, and know very little about their capabilities. So you can infer that I appreciate their looks. With that said, I don’t find it the least bit surprising that some people think they are ugly and want nothing to do with them. No offense to you or @Gary Knox. I would loved to have owned one.

As for the e9, I know you really want people here to be against you thrashing your e9 on dirt tracks, but you aren’t finding that audience here. The fact is that a sizable chunk of remaining e9’s are in race car form. Nobody discourages this, and most of the cars receive much positive attention. The e9 put BMW on the map in US motorsport, and paved the way for the BMW Motorsport division. Rally on!

Attachments

• 1569509675649.gif
    867.4 KB · Views: 134