Site Donor
Reaction score
#14 ....anyone?

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 8.07.31 AM.png

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, My fault....I guess I should be more specific..There is a rubber boot that goes from the shifter to the shifter platform that encloses the shifter parts 8-12. BMW part # 25111202213

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like this?

Both the illustration above and the pic below are of an early ZF transmission. I have no idea about whether the part should be there or not.

921634C6-52E6-40A1-B54E-5239A610951B.jpeg

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car didnt have one, but the shifter cup has grease in it for the plastic bearings, it would only seem right that it is covered right?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve never seen that boot and don’t think it’s needed at all.

Again I have no idea about the seal, but it is an interesting deep dive regardless. I presume that your ‘73 didn’t come with a ZF. I’m not sure why Gary would have a 4spd ZF but it is important to know that the linkage system is completely different. I know you know this, not really to you Chris. :)

The Getrag has a sheetmetal “shift platform” with an exposed linkage arm that runs under it. Expect it to be all covered in grease and nasty from road debris.

The ZF has sealed individual linkages. A linkage for reverse, 1-2, and 3-4. They are thin metal bars that slide adjacent to each other inside of a sealed channel. At the end is a tall shifter box that houses
the pivot and secured the shift lever.

This is a pic of my dogleg ZF but the pivot boxes are all nearly the same. See how it looks like the pic above.

09DFE599-D1D1-4E67-ABE6-1218C761BFE1.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Our 2800 has the ZF and no rubber boot.

The Parts Book shows a rubber boot on the 2.5CS and euro and US 2800CS only.

Strange. As mentioned no clue from my end. I will unzip my leather boot tonight. Mine is a euro so in theory it should have a rubber boot?

Gary - do you have a ZF?

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to CN, my car came with a ZF but was changed out to a Getrag 4spd at some point in its life. The rubber boot in question is for the Getrag 4spd/5spd and is NLA.

Last edited:

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
So does the shifter platform for the G with the sheet metal shifter bucket just stay open to the elements? Seems the shifter plastic bearings would get trashed in no time. Mine are coated in axle grease but its more like greasy dirt than anything.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So does the shifter platform for the G with the sheet metal shifter bucket just stay open to the elements? Seems the shifter plastic bearings would get trashed in no time. Mine are coated in axle grease but its more like greasy dirt than anything.

What Chris said. The lowest pivot point (below the ball) is exposed. The one that connects the horizontal shift linkage to the vertical selector lever. Not any different than your suspension however. :)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have that boot fitted to my car. 73 /74. From memory the boot is cabin side of the shitfer hole and the foam pad is trans' tunnel side of the shifter hole.

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have that boot fitted to my car. 73 /74. From memory the boot is cabin side of the shitfer hole and the foam pad is trans' tunnel side of the shifter hole.
Yep, this is the boot in question. My car is now a 265 Getrag with the shorter shifter platform and modified shifter link.