Looking for original A/C unit for 72 CSI

FrankRohrer

Reaction score
hello,

I am restoring my BMW and it originally had a/c in but was later removed. I am looking for a complete original a/c unit evaporator, bracket, hoses, ect.

Thanks.
Frank
[email protected]

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Frank ,from what i have read , I understand that it might be a long process to source all the parts ...have you at least got the console side panes ( with the vents) ?. Cheers, Simon

FrankRohrer

Reaction score
Hi Frank ,from what i have read , I understand that it might be a long process to source all the parts ...have you at least got the console side panes ( with the vents) ?. Cheers, Simon

Yes I have the side panes but the vents are missing.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...maybe contact Markos ....he's a big kahuna on this Forum ...collects steering wheels and rusty paraphernalia .Also a 3D printing master and has those vents available I believe .

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
...maybe contact Markos ....he's a big kahuna on this Forum ...collects steering wheels and rusty paraphernalia .Also a 3D printing master and has those vents available I believe .

LOL!

I do have a relevant update. I am 3D printing the NLA and often warped/cracked/missing duct work that sits above the evaporator box. I also print the console side vent covers, and the AC face plate. First prototype prints late this month.

Check with @Ohmess as he was helping Tom with a parts lot that included an AC package. Also, @GK-E30M3 May have an original AC face plate for sale.

The cabin parts are the hard part. You can source the compressor, condenser, fan, dryer, and other parts from later vehicles. It is commonly discussed and @thehackmechanic has some good write ups.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are lucky; the side console parts are the hardest to find. Get all the stuff Markos is making. Tom sold most of his a/c parts, but I will check to see what he may have. A lot of his remaining parts are packed and in transit and/or short term storage as part of his move so this make take a few weeks.

As to sourcing the other parts, the guy at Iceautoair (Robert, I think) makes and sells a bracket to install a modern compressor on the M30 engine. I bought my bracket and a Sanden compressor from him. Get the largest parallel flow condenser that fits (I don't recall the dimension, but a search should turn it up) along with a SPAL pusher fan in place of the stock condenser fan. I believe I went with an e24 dryer.

As to hoses, have them made to your specification. Obviously, the fittings will vary depending on whether you use R12 or R134. I found a web site that makes up hoses; I am pretty sure any shop that specializes in air conditioning can do this (and it may be helpful to have someone who can test your system for leaks before you charge it, and then charge it for you). Have them install fittings to allow you to fill your system from above rather than using the fittings at the compressor. The fittings on the compressor are very close to the exhaust manifold.

Also, install an e24 heat shield (BMW Part No: 51 48 1 832 850?) under the right side floor where the exhaust passes near the footwell. Consider modern sound deadening/insulating underneath the entire floor including underneath the seats, make sure the firewall insulation is intact, and consider a heater core shut off valve in order to avoid having hot coolant flowing into the interior in the summer months.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
While were on the subject...I need the OG cabin control switches for my AC system. If you know anyone who has these, please let me know.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Darn- new switches are available for later cars (74-75) no such luck on earlier cars.

You need the 4 pin version

Attachments

• C5041661-4395-447F-A636-1DCB49F657D9.jpeg
    C5041661-4395-447F-A636-1DCB49F657D9.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 157

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Darn- new switches are available for later cars (74-75) no such luck on earlier cars.

You need the 4 pin version

Also note that not all 4 pin switches are created equal. The e9 switch has longer threads and is actually mounted sideways to clear the radio. A spacer goes between the face plate and the switch base. If you actually have an original e9!switch you can swap the guts.

5C6B31AF-6ECD-4EA5-9B6F-ABF522E4B343.jpeg

Mpower5266

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for the hard lines for the AC system? I need the lines that run from the Evap to the under hood hoses on a 71 2800cs.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What do you want for the compressor? Is the bracket included? Feel free to PM me.

I hate to mess up someone's sale, but unless you are going super original, you don't want to use the original compressors. They were big, heavy, and inefficient. If you do decide to go that route, you will also need the vibration dampener (shown in the picture with the fan).

Mpower5266

Reaction score
I hate to mess up someone's sale, but unless you are going super original, you don't want to use the original compressors. They were big, heavy, and inefficient. If you do decide to go that route, you will also need the vibration dampener (shown in the picture with the fan).

I'm open to options, just trying to piece this car back together. What do you recommend as a retrofit?