looking for advice on installing instruments and upper dash pad

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think I read a post about holding the upper dash pad down by attaching wires to it, pulling the wires through and fixing them somehow
Can someone elaborate or if explained somewhere post a link to that thread?

Can the instruments be installed into the wood pod before the pod is fixed to the car?

I realize the hood, the small vinyl part, fixes to the upper pad then it is installed as a unit
Is the wood part with the instruments installed before or after the upper pad assembly?

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Michael Thompson's write-up has terrific photos to help you with this. Also input from Rob Siegel and myself.

Here is a link describing the gauge removals: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/gauges-out-speedo-repaired.31766/#post-259303

I did all of my work with everything already assembled, so I cannot comment on how the work would be approached as a glass-out installation. The photos show where the wood mounts, and the cowl is pulled down by long vertical mounting screws. I don't know where pulling with wire would factor in.

From my reading, I think that having access from above, you could mount the gauges to the wood and then add the cowl cover afterwards, but I'm just guessing.

Attachments

• CS_Speedometer_Clock_Removal.pdf
    774.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Speedometer_Clock_Removal (E9).pdf
    774.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Speedometer_Gauges_Removal_Tom.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 80

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Mark, I just did this and now I forget- ugh! I'm pretty sure you can remove or install the gauges, wood and all with the dash topper installed or with it removed. There are two bolts that hold the wood to the metal frame behind the dash.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Michael Thompson's write-up has terrific photos to help you with this. Also input from Rob Siegel and myself.

Here is a link describing the gauge removals: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/gauges-out-speedo-repaired.31766/#post-259303

I did all of my work with everything already assembled, so I cannot comment on how the work would be approached as a glass-out installation. The photos show where the wood mounts, and the cowl is pulled down by long vertical mounting screws. I don't know where pulling with wire would factor in.

From my reading, I think that having access from above, you could mount the gauges to the wood and then add the cowl cover afterwards, but I'm just guessing.
thanks!