Looking for a project

TrevS

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new on the forum and am possibly looking for an E9 project car that I could rebuild as a project to sit alongside my Series 1 Jaguar E-type. My E-type is completely stock so I really fancy something different and the idea of creating a batmobile group 2 replica very much like the group 2 Gosser Beer car that was advertised on Bring a Trailer recently.

IMG_4721-1-940x627.jpg

Could I ask what could I expect to pay for an E9 project car? I would ideally want something that is complete minus engine and gearbox. Condition of body is more important to me than mechanicals so what would you budget for something like this and where are the best places to look for cars?

Any help much appreciated

Trev

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Trev,

I'm not an expert on the subject but I do follow the cars for sale. I would say that you should expect to pay $30K for a rust free car that runs, drives, and looks nice. Ever six months or so a 'bag and tag' project car that has a clean body but needs everything comes up. These usually go for $10-$15K. You can find a car that runs and drives in the mid 20's, but it will generally have rust and interior issues. Keep your eye on the classifieds section here. Nearly all private sales listed in the US are posted, along with any interesting dealer sales or auctions.

TrevS

Reaction score
Hi Trev,

I'm not an expert on the subject but I do follow the cars for sale. I would say that you should expect to pay $30K for a rust free car that runs, drives, and looks nice. Ever six months or so a 'bag and tag' project car that has a clean body but needs everything comes up. These usually go for $10-$15K. You can find a car that runs and drives in the mid 20's, but it will generally have rust and interior issues. Keep your eye on the classifieds section here. Nearly all private sales listed in the US are posted, along with any interesting dealer sales or auctions.

Thanks Markos, really useful info. I am definitely looking for something in that $10-15k range I think as would want to change engine, gearbox etc and I think it would be a shame to modify a nice tidy car. Will keep an eye on the classifieds section as advised.

Thanks again

Trevor

TrevS

Reaction score
No, based in the UK but as I am new on here I wasn't sure where most people on the forum are from. Anyway I would consider cars from either Europe or the US as the main thing I am looking for is a solid body as I know rust is the biggest issue on these cars and finding a good one can be tricky

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Three years ago I got a deal on a somewhat rusty unmolested car on a Pacific Island. Not much competition for it that far way from everyone else.

I have about $10K invested in the car, shipping to the mainland and parts and I haven't begun restoration. However there shouldn't be much more material costs, but many hours of my labor.

I have a perfect interior, except for carpet. It will be a driver car, not a show car. It's still got it's original drive train but I will upgrade to a 5 speed as I actually found a rebuilt one on eBay last year for not much more than used ones are going for. Gotta keep your eyes out for deals, they do pop up. Of course, the time spent searching for the best deal may be worth more than you save, YMMV.

Ian

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am rather new to this forum , and I am still learning from many of the folks here that have been involved with E9 much longer than I. I have actively been looking for a nice rust free E9 since 2013. I have probably looked at about 20 or so from close inspection. In my humble opinion. There is no such a thing as a rust free E9 unless you see the car completely dismantled and stripped. The bulkhead area of the car which the section in front of the A pillar and firewall is very hard to inspect. You might be able to get a general idea by looking over certain accessible area. Most cars out there have some form or another undercoating which makes it even hard to find ALL the rusted sections. I am in process of finishing a 71 2800CS and begining to understand the body sections better. So my advice is just be aware what you might run into if the car is not completely stripped ! Metal work can be very extensive!!
Best of luck!

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a CSI that is complete but rusty and a rust free roller. I bought the two to combine but am willing to part with the pair if you are looking for a good project. Send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk