Lifting an M30

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the process of stripping the Euro 730 I recently acquired. Will be renting an engine hoist to pull motor. Hoists seem to have adjustment to lift from .5 to 2 or even 3 tons. What have you used? Also, would you recommend trying to remove the 5 speed Getrag together with the M30, or individually? Thanks for any advise. Mike

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the process of stripping the Euro 730 I recently acquired. Will be renting an engine hoist to pull motor. Hoists seem to have adjustment to lift from .5 to 2 or even 3 tons. What have you used? Also, would you recommend trying to remove the 5 speed Getrag together with the M30, or individually? Thanks for any advise. Mike

Hi Mike,

Are you trying to keep it rolling? If not, you can remove the usable parts up front then cut the radiator support. Then roll the drivetrain out the front without a cherry picker. That is what I did with my parts car. Keep in mind the wrecker will need to drag it onto the flatbed unless you put the subframe back in.

I did this with my parts car but there was little that I didn’t keep or sell.
F9E9A804-98DF-46EB-86DB-5A8D8DEF08AF.jpeg
DE43F5D2-1923-4AB6-9858-9FBA6E0FA4B8.jpeg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can easily remove the engine with a normal engine crane if you take care, as I managed to do this with my CSL.
I suggest:

1. Remove bonnet to give access and jack up front of car to give access - have some redundancy here as you don't want car to fall on you;
2. Drop drive shaft;
3. Drop gear box, either with or without the bell housing attached - remember to disconnect the clutch and the cylinder;
4. remove radiator, fan, along with all wiring etc - the aim here is to give you room to move and lift the motor out;
5. Undo engine mounts - these can be tricky so if they have a top and a bottom nut on the studs i'd take both as it can jam otherwise;
6. Attach a length of chain via the mounting points;
7. start lifting - my first lift was just to get it off the mounts - then I reset and lifted it from the car;

This will leave you with a complete roller, assuming the 730 has essentially the same setup as an E9.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Are you trying to keep it rolling? If not, you can remove the usable parts up front then cut the radiator support. Then roll the drivetrain out the front without a cherry picker. That is what I did with my parts car. Keep in mind the wrecker will need to drag it onto the flatbed unless you put the subframe back in.

I did this with my parts car but there was little that I didn’t keep or sell.
View attachment 78199View attachment 78200
Great photos, thank you Markos. Yes, I think about cutting that entire front away, I am so close now. But yeah, I also think about how to dispose of the remains when I am through. I do want to keep the wheels, some old Riken mesh, that happen to match what's on my Coupe. This makes me wonder about all the creative and ingenious ways others have extricated an engine/gearbox outside, under cover. I do have some ideas.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can easily remove the engine with a normal engine crane if you take care, as I managed to do this with my CSL.
I suggest:

1. Remove bonnet to give access and jack up front of car to give access - have some redundancy here as you don't want car to fall on you;
2. Drop drive shaft;
3. Drop gear box, either with or without the bell housing attached - remember to disconnect the clutch and the cylinder;
4. remove radiator, fan, along with all wiring etc - the aim here is to give you room to move and lift the motor out;
5. Undo engine mounts - these can be tricky so if they have a top and a bottom nut on the studs i'd take both as it can jam otherwise;
6. Attach a length of chain via the mounting points;
7. start lifting - my first lift was just to get it off the mounts - then I reset and lifted it from the car;

This will leave you with a complete roller, assuming the 730 has essentially the same setup as an E9.
Thanks Wes, yes the 730 has so much that is very similar to the E9. Plus more space inside engine compartment. I have the rad out, wiring detached, moving around to remove the Stahl headers today, then the gearbox. Thanks for the tips! Mike