learning about speakers, hifi topic

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
many things are interesting you can not know about everything but it is nice to learn taking advantage of the chance that internet gives you
when you think about speakers you usually have the normal ones in mind, but all hifi firms have been improving their dessigns sometimes developing specific products for specific needs

i have been searching different equipment from the seventies including amps, turntables and speakers,

i dealt with B&O beoboxs only to improve them using new capacitors and modifying the sound through the use of a reverberating cylinder, but a new ones are still to came,...

i came across the natural sound yamaha 230, bought a pair and have been the weekend listening to them still very gladly surprised, you know very specific things can be very dissapointing, but this has not been the case

this is the very difficult ascenseur per l’ecchaffaud by miles davies

i feel that the sound comes extraordinarily out from these speakers

odd so they are as they are open back speakers, with a huge odd shapped woofer,...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
they look really unconventional, elements are suspended by an aluminium frame

BEC275A8-E35D-44AA-B643-21623DE09B78.jpeg

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never seen this before..I wonder how/if the rear wave cancellation problem was handled with the very small baffle area, and no box structure. You should try different locations in your room, for example put them in the corners or a meter or two or three out from the corners to see how the sound changes. This will all be in the bass region, of course, highly affected by the corner boundaries. The headphones don't have this problem because the ear surround blocks out the rear wave problem. Welcome to the art/science of sound, DeQ.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Never seen this before..I wonder how/if the rear wave cancellation problem was handled with the very small baffle area, and no box structure. You should try different locations in your room, for example put them in the corners or a meter or two or three out from the corners to see how the sound changes. This will all be in the bass region, of course, highly affected by the corner boundaries. The headphones don't have this problem because the ear surround blocks out the rear wave problem. Welcome to the art/science of sound, DeQ.

Thank you. IMHO compared to mu other speakers you can feel how different they are.
I am checking these with a sansui su555A. And a BO turntable. Comparing them with a B&W P4 and a KEF 102/2

I feel the yamahas are really pure sound not try to over-interprete the music

Feel they are not good for rock ot pop. But perfect for jazz and classical...

Listen...

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ: Listen, you ask? Through computer speakers? I can hear the music, but not the sound (no bass, tinny treble.) Like eating vichysoisse through a straw, no? If you are like me, you will truly appreciate classical only through large speakers that can provide realistic bass. Good luck with the Yamahas. The KEFs should be a good reference for comparison.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ: Listen, you ask? Through computer speakers? I can hear the music, but not the sound (no bass, tinny treble.) Like eating vichysoisse through a straw, no? If you are like me, you will truly appreciate classical only through large speakers that can provide realistic bass. Good luck with the Yamahas. The KEFs should be a good reference for comparison.

yes you re right
sorry