Late M30B35 motor mount adapter for $11

Mike Goble

Reaction score
It just got easier. You can buy the 1/4" x 3" bar stock in 12" lengths for $11 (shipped) on Ebay, so I bought a couple. No cutting involved, just drill 6holes and bolt your old E3/E9 mount to it.

Made one today for a local man with an E3 and cold beer...

IMG_5650.JPG

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I had some questions about a template...
I just made one out of cardboard. I cut a piece 3" x 11" file folder paper, laid it over the mounting bosses on the block and tapped it with a soft hammer. This leaves an impression of circles on the paper which you can center punch to transfer the pattern to your steel bar. I initially drill the three large bolt holes to 25/64" and test fit the plate to the block. You may have to enlarge the holes to 13/32 if you are a little off on your centers. The forward hole uses a smaller bolt so I just drill it to 3/8" and it's good.
Once you have established that the bar will bolt to the block firmly, bolt it up with your motor mount attached. Use the motor mount to establish the centers of the remaining 2 holes in the rear. I just use a 25/64" bit in a hand drill to start these holes because it's a tight fit and the center will be very close. I remove the bar and finish the holes on my drill press.
Once I have the holes in the right place and the right size I weld the heads of the 2 rear bolts to the back of the bar so you can tighten them using only one wrench. You will also have to grind some of the lower rear bolt head off to clear the ridge on the block. You could also grind away the ridge if you want to.

Attachments

• IMG_5660.JPG
    IMG_5660.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 167