Lan-mechanisms windscreen wiper mechanism renewal

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi, some time ago i did a partial renewal of this system, only the motor, bit not the rest, so now my concern has been the mechanism

surprised to see the axis in this condition, no rust at all, amazing

i have seen these ones in terrible corroded condition

sand blast, primer and finishing

o

all bits cleaned and greased

sand blasted, anti rust primer, and finishing in satin black

motor does not need anything but wipe with a cloth, new rubber piece

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
assembly,

do the nuts

i use three types of grease, vaseline, moly, and red rubber grease from castrol

do not forget the wave washer,

and the sealing ring

this is interesting, here you can see the pieces that form the upper section, the top is an strange ally of dull metal, then a ultrathin washer and the bushing, this one is original from 1971, and is yellow metal, but i have seen onther in plastic, that usually are broken

mock up the pieces carefully, use moly grease for the sliding surfaces

then go to your vise and push

until flush

done, BTW have always a spare, you never know

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
now to the car

it would bave been nice to assembly everything including motor, but with the old type hose nozzle does not allow to

see the sequence

BTW, i am using a hand made rubber sealing, the one that LuisA proposed is not valid for the e9, the original rubber ring that he found is too big and does not slip into the hole

the nylon washer goes below the outer surface

and done

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i took the advantage of having this are open and easy to accomodate a new sound dampening mat, i removed what was possible to and cleaned with gasoline befor installing this one

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Try cleaning and retensioning the electrical contacts inside the gearbox so that they make consistent contact with the rotating plate.

Sometimes my wipers don't go to the fully down position when turned off...speeds work fine just doesn't go back to stop position...any thoughts?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@deQuincey ; is the above thread perhaps also a good contender for the diy section?

A pity the pictures are not so nice with the photo bucket thing happening, but they still serve their purpose.
Would you be able to add originals? Or I can add some additional pics with similar meaning of my own restoration.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@deQuincey ; is the above thread perhaps also a good contender for the diy section?

A pity the pictures are not so nice with the photo bucket thing happening, but they still serve their purpose.
Would you be able to add originals? Or I can add some additional pics with similar meaning of my own restoration.
Use to best purpose