Keeping the cabin cooler

EJ333

Reaction score
If 106 degrees in L.A isn't hot enough without AC, what are the tried and true cost-effective measures to prevent heat building up in the cabin ? There is a lot of heat that comes from the transmission area. I've read old posts of heat shields and exhaust wrap etc. Old posts on Dynamat didn't seem to do the trick either.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does any body have a part # for the heat shield. Will there be modifications needed ?

This is one I heard about and thought I ordered.
As we all know it's sometimes hard to be sure this is what you want and will it work.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just did 730 miles from South Carolina to South Florida with no AC.
The secret is to keep a 10 pound bag of ice in your lap.
Nice and chilly......

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
We hit 114F yesterday.
Did you do the heater bypass mod ? That's good for about 5F drop in the cabin.
There is also a foam thingy under the shifter to help block heat from the tranny.
You are right on Dynamat. I laid down about 50lbs of Dynamat and it didnt do a damn thing.

EJ333

Reaction score
I always thought the sf in sfdon stood for .... you know...
But now I know it stands for subfreezing. Thanks for all the tips and levity ! Keep it coming !

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Don noticed I was missing these bad boys on my firewall. Between sliding every vent control to the right, putting these on, and running the fan, the interior without AC went from almost unbearable to the realm of reasonable.

20F0E723-6326-49D4-9B98-9B57EA6C89AD_zpsd8noxadr.jpg

68BA66DB-BE34-4769-971D-B576D42F4085_zpsujptsoyo.jpg

I also had a new shift boot fabbed a few months ago, and that helped a ton. My heater is INOP, so I might end up doing the heater core bypass anyway.

Stefan

Reaction score
Exhaust wrap between manifold and first muffler did a lot to decrease heat at passenger floor and gearbox area.

Attachments

• small IMG_0420.jpg
    small IMG_0420.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 485
Reactions: Rek

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those are drain tubes not related to hvac

Don noticed I was missing these bad boys on my firewall. Between sliding every vent control to the right, putting these on, and running the fan, the interior without AC went from almost unbearable to the realm of reasonable.

20F0E723-6326-49D4-9B98-9B57EA6C89AD_zpsd8noxadr.jpg

68BA66DB-BE34-4769-971D-B576D42F4085_zpsujptsoyo.jpg

I also had a new shift boot fabbed a few months ago, and that helped a ton. My heater is INOP, so I might end up doing the heater core bypass anyway.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
From what I understood from Don, if those aren't there the blower motor can suck in hot air from the engine compartment. :confused:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damn, learn something new everyday, never thought of that. If that's the case then make sure your firewall gasket is sealing against the hood.

From what I understood from Don, if those aren't there the blower motor can suck in hot air from the engine compartment. :confused:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

hard to believe, i must see a CFD analysis to confirm this point, but the area ratio between the hood grilles and this two circles is so unfavorable !

i wonder if the aerodynamic laminar layer over the hood grilles may disturb/influence this basic calculation a bit, together with the air pressure that is created inside the engine bay by the air flux coming from the front, through the radiator and pressing towards the firewall

hummm,..., probably is worth a try,...who knows ?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are 6 seals or hoses required if you want fresh air to be drawn into the cabin through the hood grills and into your face instead of hot exhaust and gas fumes. The two large grommets at the hood latches, the two pinched tubes that allow water to drain but air not to enter and the two firewall seals. If you don't have these you are mixing hot air and fumes from the engine bay with fresh air and breathing it.
There are 5? more small holes in the firewall that each get a sealed fixture also designed to keep hot air out of the blower. It's not just fresh cool air, it's safe air with out possible carbon monoxide and gasoline fumes. If you don't have the tubes installed at least stick a rag in there to keep the air coming off your exhaust manifold and into your face. :)

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
hard to believe, i must see a CFD analysis to confirm this point, but the area ratio between the hood grilles and this two circles is so unfavorable !

i wonder if the aerodynamic laminar layer over the hood grilles may disturb/influence this basic calculation a bit, together with the air pressure that is created inside the engine bay by the air flux coming from the front, through the radiator and pressing towards the firewall

hummm,..., probably is worth a try,...who knows ?

It would be easy to get the net result. Turn the blower on with the AC off, and put a thermometer in the cabin vent.

Then pull the drains, drive and see if the temp is the same.

Before I had them installed, I'd get about 15 seconds of ambient air, and then it would blow hot air into the cabin. I don't have that issue anymore.