Just acquired a 1974 3.0 cs. Starting a full resto. Parts search. Glad to be here.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you want to keep the lights on either side of the license tag and remove the lights in the bumper there are chrome plated plastic bumper plugs that can be used to fill those spots.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
lights are easily available
used for 2002 also

I found the original and subsequent part numbers and I know Hella made them for Porsche VW and even Volvo but I can't find one in US. I;ve even checked salvage yards locally.

Found one on ebay in GR but they won't ship to US - if you have a resource - please send to me. Thank you.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrads and welcome to the Forum. Looks really nice and you might be able to paint/dye a tan color interior?
Tim
TY Tim - have you ever done that or talked to someone that has. The leather is in pretty good shape actually and as a non-concourse/daily driver - I'd be fine with an interim solution if it's look decent/hold up ok. Thanks!!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found the original and subsequent part numbers and I know Hella made them for Porsche VW and even Volvo but I can't find one in US. I;ve even checked salvage yards locally.

Found one on ebay in GR but they won't ship to US - if you have a resource - please send to me. Thank you.
This is disheartening. I will need both of the LP lights before I am finished. Guess I better start looking now. :(

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is disheartening. I will need both of the LP lights before I am finished. Guess I better start looking now. :(
I also checked with Hella - they hav a classic prog am. I found a non oem version that's close - just awaiting word on dimensions and if it has a lense cover with it - picture is not great. Will post if it's close.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want to keep the lights on either side of the license tag and remove the lights in the bumper there are chrome plated plastic bumper plugs that can be used to fill those spots.
Conversely I may just keep the euro bumper lights and omit these. Thx stan

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Tomme9 -- welcome to the madness. I recently finished changing the color of my interior. It is a fair bit of work, but I am happy with the results. Gary Knox removed a set of Konig seats from his car; I bought them and changed the color to match my car. If you look at the eighth post in this thread: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/pvgp.25940/, I posted a picture of my interior with the front seats done. (The color is a pre-WWII Mercedes Benz color). I obtained the dye and related materials from https://colorplus.com/. I highly recommend her products and she can match colors very well if you want a custom color.

Each leather surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed in order to open the pores to accept the new dye. You can simply color over the vinyl. Color plus has detailed instructions on how to do this. Be prepared to take your time, however.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Tomme9 -- welcome to the madness. I recently finished changing the color of my interior. It is a fair bit of work, but I am happy with the results. Gary Knox removed a set of Konig seats from his car; I bought them and changed the color to match my car. If you look at the eighth post in this thread: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/pvgp.25940/, I posted a picture of my interior with the front seats done. (The color is a pre-WWII Mercedes Benz color). I obtained the dye and related materials from https://colorplus.com/. I highly recommend her products and she can match colors very well if you want a custom color.

Each leather surface needs to be cleaned and scuffed in order to open the pores to accept the new dye. You can simply color over the vinyl. Color plus has detailed instructions on how to do this. Be prepared to take your time, however.
Thank you for that. I've contacted leatherworldtech.com and world upholstery as well. I do think I'm going to at least clean prep and try restoring original leather and just enjoy the car for a while. I may go ahead and ge the materials for an eventual redo.

Any leads on dash resto - I met a gentlemen in Colorado Springs that has a guy. Heard just dashes takes forever and not as great since it sold.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have had good luck with Leatherique products for cleaning and rejuvenating leather.

As for the redoing the seats, I recommend farming that out. Our seats are complicated to repair and recover. And you need really strong hands to do the work.

I've not had dash work done, but there is a place in California many folks here recommend.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
m6 int 2.jpg m motor.jpg
1985-bmw-m635.jpg

Howdy again - Hoping it's ok to post here as proceeds will go towards e9 resto. Considering selling to the right buyer:

1 of only 146 registered worldwide - third owner of a 1985 BMW M635csi (European Grey Market car) with the M88/3 (same as M1) engine - original Diamond Schwartz Metallic paint and Anthracite Buffalo leather interior. All documentation, all original and in superb condition with only 74k actual miles. Reported top speed from a non-modified factory model - 176 mph by Rug Cunningham at La Carrera Classic.
Price on request. Feel free to private message me with questions.
Thank you again for all the insights on the e9 resto.
Tom

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering what makes it 1 of 146?

• Sure. There are 374 total M635s (Euros) from 1983 to 1989 that are M registered. (Note: There are a total of 290 US / Canada M6 models registered that start in 1985 and go through 1989.)
  • 146 is how many total (international/euro) 1985 models are "registered" on the M Registry.
  • I'd love to know - but all the books I've read including Jeremy Walton's - can't determine how many LHD vs RHD Euro cars (respectively) were made in 1985 (mine's LHD) - and - how many were sent to England, Japan, etc. (With that (X qty.) of 1985 M635csi cars were built as LHD cars with (X) sent to (markets other than England/Japan, etc.?) I could then determine (Y) - how many specifically were built that year and could have been available for grey market import into the US. And - how many with its specific characteristics were built.
  • It does appear that only (apx.) 83 of the total 1985 M635csi models produced still remain in the US.
  • So I suppose it could be said - this is 1 of apx. 83 (Registered) M635csi's in the US.
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/

Last edited:

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
HPLUG on this forum has a 1985 Euro M6 currently for sale. Extremely fast car and in great shape, PM him if interested
Not trying to jump someone's post,

tmason

Reaction score
Tom, I think it's very common to have the leather dyed. I seen it done but how it holds up I'm not sure?

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
yes i did it on my e24 - it’s a great short term solution but wears off after a few years

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 47162 View attachment 47163
View attachment 47164

Howdy again - Hoping it's ok to post here as proceeds will go towards e9 resto. Considering selling to the right buyer:

1 of only 146 registered worldwide - third owner of a 1985 BMW M635csi (European Grey Market car) with the M88/3 (same as M1) engine - original Diamond Schwartz Metallic paint and Anthracite Buffalo leather interior. All documentation, all original and in superb condition with only 74k actual miles. Reported top speed from a non-modified factory model - 176 mph by Rug Cunningham at La Carrera Classic.
Price on request. Feel free to private message me with questions.
Thank you again for all the insights on the e9 resto.
Tom

Cool rig! I recommend posting a sep. ad in the Classifieds...Cars section.