Just acquired a 1974 3.0 cs. Starting a full resto. Parts search. Glad to be here.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all - really glad to be a part of this forum. So I guess a little about me - I was a BMW, Porsche and Mercedes mechanic in the 80s. I fell in love with BMWs and have since owned 3-motorcycles (still have a 72 r75/5 toaster) 4-2002s (incl. a 73 tii), an 80 320i, and two E24s (incl. a 1985 M635csi Euro that I still own). I fell in love with E9 as a kid and just acquired a 74 3.0cs that I will rebuild and restore to it's former glory.

It's a great car out of CA/TX with no rust. Starting an inventory list - and one part I am having a heck of a time finding is a rear "register light lense/cover." The prior owner put Euro bumpers on her that have the (register/license plate) lights built in - but the car was a US model that has the exterior bulbs as well (plz see photo). I have used some great resources for my E24 restos over the years (realoem, Maximillian, BMW-Group Classic, etc.) but no luck. If anyone has one for sale - and/or some great e9 resources for my rebuild I'd be very grateful.

Decided I'm going to build her to my preferences. She will be my daily driver when I'm done for sure and I'm not too concerned about resale value because I'll be dead when she sells!!! :) Again - great to be here and thanks in advance. Tom

1974 3.0cs.jpeg

tl.jpg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome! I think you answered your own question about the mods. Daily driver... own for ever... build it the way you want it. It won't hurt the value anyway.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hah! We were all wondering about that car.

Does she look better than expected? About the same? Worse?

Seller said it had no rust, but we all know how that goes.

Congrats! More pics!

Mod it!

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is some very mild oxidation right under paint on rear / front bonnets - almost like there was water vapor in paint gun - but ive been looking for a year and this is one of the best in terms of its bones that I've seen for the money. And its all there - great chrome, etc. except for a great prep/repaint and interior. And yep - agreed - I'm going to build her to enjoy. Thx.

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Per request.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 426
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 395
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 414
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 409

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks tea. Never been more excited about a car and a resto. Thinking Verona Red w/ tan leather interior and BBS wheels btw.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 407
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 408

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats on your E9!! Your car has a really nice color combo with the rare white interior. Please consider keeping it the original color. There are already way too many red cars in the world.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What IS the original color?

Ask these guys what it came with:

[email protected]

If came w/ugly and/or boring color, sure change it to what you want.

My car came with Atlantik (Pacific), but I want to do a more modern variation of dark blue since I think the original shade is a tad...boring.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tomme9, I am also in OKC and new owner as of February. @Tony.dreamer is the real OK E9 guru, and he can tell you the realities you will confront on your various restoration projects and the best sources for various parts. I think he has 3?, with two in restoration phases. PM me and I'll send you my contact information. Mine is almost back on the road, but I'm not a mechanic and painfully slow at what are easy tasks for others. There is another one in my neighborhood I've been trying to track down. We're on the verge of a virtual fleet of E9s!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tomme9, I am also in OKC and new owner as of February. @Tony.dreamer is the real OK E9 guru, and he can tell you the realities you will confront on your various restoration projects and the best sources for various parts. I think he has 3?, with two in restoration phases. PM me and I'll send you my contact information. Mine is almost back on the road, but I'm not a mechanic and painfully slow at what are easy tasks for others. There is another one in my neighborhood I've been trying to track down. We're on the verge of a virtual fleet of E9s!
Thank you Jay for tagging me in !
Congratulating Tom,
You have a great taste . You have picked the best looking BMW body style out there today!
Your background as a mechanic will certainly help you a lot restoring the car and enjoying it even more. When you work on the car and pull the car apart soon you will find BMW factory used the best quality material , alloys and bright work , etc... to build these cars..
It a shame Kamran didn’t do much rust proofing with these cars. I hope yours as rust free as you imagined it to be.
Jay and I have not met. But we have communicated on several occasion. But I would certainly would like to meet jay (as well as you) some day. I am excited to see there are more E9 lovers in Oklahoma . I am by no means a guru as I am learning more and more everyday from the folks on this forum that have been great resource and such gentlemen! Post what you need on the parts section and you see great people responses. I will be happy to help anyways I can.
Until we meet one day!
Best wishes
Tony P.

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats on your E9!! Your car has a really nice color combo with the rare white interior. Please consider keeping it the original color. There are already way too many red cars in the world.

Thx Vince. And yes - after more thought - have decided to stay with the original Nauchtblau - but am likely going to go with the Natural Cafe Leather (as white is just too hard to keep clean).

Attachments

• 1973_BMW_3.0CS_E9_.jpg
    1973_BMW_3.0CS_E9_.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 398

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Jay for tagging me in !
Congratulating Tom,
You have a great taste . You have picked the best looking BMW body style out there today!
Your background as a mechanic will certainly help you a lot restoring the car and enjoying it even more. When you work on the car and pull the car apart soon you will find BMW factory used the best quality material , alloys and bright work , etc... to build these cars..
It a shame Kamran didn’t do much rust proofing with these cars. I hope yours as rust free as you imagined it to be.
Jay and I have not met. But we have communicated on several occasion. But I would certainly would like to meet jay (as well as you) some day. I am excited to see there are more E9 lovers in Oklahoma . I am by no means a guru as I am learning more and more everyday from the folks on this forum that have been great resource and such gentlemen! Post what you need on the parts section and you see great people responses. I will be happy to help anyways I can.
Until we meet one day!
Best wishes
Tony P.
Thank you and nice to meet you here Tony. We've talked on the phone a few weeks ago. I'd like to connect and would enjoy seeing your car. I'm on FB under Thomas J Searls if you'd like to message me.

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you and nice to meet you here Jay. Tony and I talked on the phone a few weeks ago. I'd like to connect and would enjoy seeing your car. I'm on FB under Thomas J Searls if you'd like to message me.

Last edited:

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
What IS the original color?

Ask these guys what it came with:

[email protected]

If came w/ugly and/or boring color, sure change it to what you want.

My car came with Atlantik (Pacific), but I want to do a more modern variation of dark blue since I think the original shade is a tad...boring.
Thanks - I wrote them Rob. Everything I find says Nauchtblau. Look forward to hearing back from them.

tmason

Reaction score
Congrads and welcome to the Forum. Looks really nice and you might be able to paint/dye a tan color interior?
Tim