Intro / E12 parts questions

otter74

Reaction score
Hello! I joined recently because I very nearly bought a Bavaria - I’ve liked them particularly among older BMWs since high school (30 years ago), and a local guy I know with a very nice ‘72 gave me right of first refusal on his car. In the end I passed on it, which I regretted a bit, which is how I ended up buying an E12. Either of these would have had to replace one of my other cars before too long because space and money, but I’m taking advantage of geography, time and opportunity to do a fly-and-drive. The car I bought got a very thorough PPI and the OK for the trip home (up the pacific coast to Washington, then later home to the Midwest) but there are some age-related wear items I may likely want to address within the first year. Most of these are 45-year-old rubber bits.

My question is this: where can I go to find things like suspension rubber parts for an E12? Im aware that it shares chassis and suspension parts with E24s up through 81 or 82, after which E24s adopted E28 chasis parts. I don’t know what the cross compatibilty is for anothing between an E12 and an E28 other than body stuff since the body apertures and other key hard points are Carryover. I‘m sure there’s a bit of cross-referencing with an E23, but probably not for chassis. Then again maybe BMW used the same bushing geometry for ages? I don’t know, so here I am.

Car is a ‘78 530i with an M30B35/Getrag 260/LSD swap from an ‘89 635CSi. In particular what I’d like to know about are front control arm bushings (or the control arm itself), rear trailing arm bushings, rear subframe bushings, tie rod ends, maybe things like the Pitman arm.

E28 parts seem significantly more available than E12 parts. Perhaps some of these bits are compatible across all sorts of platforms, E10/E12/E28/whatever.

I admit that one thing that gave me pause about owning an E3 was part availability and repairability. I currently have an ‘85 Saab 900 SPG that I love, and parts availability is reasonable for it, but I hit a deer last year and getting it repaired required finding my own parts and doing things like searching for headlamps that have been NLA for decades. I started looking at E12s because I suspected I’d enjoy it just as much as an E3 (even if it isn’t *quite* as special to me) but it would be a bit easier to take care of.

thanks!
David

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Everything you are asking can be answered in RealOEM.com. Enter your e12 info and then save your search. You can look up a part, copy the part number, and then enter it on the first page of another search, not e12, it will show every car with that part. Go to our FAQ where we list parts sources.

otter74

Reaction score
Everything you are asking can be answered in RealOEM.com. Enter your e12 info and then save your search. You can look up a part, copy the part number, and then enter it on the first page of another search, not e12, it will show every car with that part. Go to our FAQ where we list parts sources.
Thanks, Chris - I didn’t know about that site.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
There’s a lot of stuff that you just can’t get anymore for E12s. Or if you can get it, low end options are all there are. You couldn’t buy a genuine control arm 10 years ago. Now much of the steering linkage is NLA, too and there’s only one option for Bilsteins and they’re very frankly not suitable in the rear.

About the only stuff you can get is stuff shared with other chassis but you’ll pay. You used to be able to get factory strut mounts for about $30. They’re now 10x that cost. There are some workarounds for that though.

otter74

Reaction score
Thanks - at least there’s the stuff shared with other chassis. I think I assumed chassis parts had more in common with an E28 than a E3. I was offered a great Bavaria for a great price (the Sahara one on BaT now) and passed because it was more than I wanted to spend and immediately regretted it - I figured an E12 would be easier to own because it would have better parts availability. (But that E3 really doesn’t need anything). I’m familiar with the parts thing as I’ve had my Saab since 2017 and the community support is great for those cars but parts availability is all over the map and there’s plenty of stuff that hasn’t been available in a million years.

I had a lot of fun driving my car up the pacific coast this week; it’s staying with friends here in Bellingham until I come back in July to drive it home. Suspension is fine but would definitely feel better with new rubber. (Not to mention Bilsteins and maybe bigger a/r bars) Then again, that’s true of my Saab too and I’ve not been motivated enough to replace the rubber on that car. For sure I’ll put new bushings in the original arms. It all seems to be out there if I figure out what a given part is shared with and look for that.

What do you mean by the Bilsteins not being very suitable in the rear?

I love the Recaros (they’re my favorite seats - I had an E21 iS in high school and I have the same Recaros in my 911) but I badly need to raise the cushion to something approaching the height of the original seats, as no thigh support plus a strong throttle return spring means leg cramps after an hour.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
another source for PN look up (without the incessant ads) is:

otter74

Reaction score
I thought I’d follow up on this a bit, since I have the car home now. Just before Memorial Day weekend I flew to SFO, picked up the car in the east Bay, and took two days to drive it up the PCH/101 to Portland and then I-5 to Bellingham, WA, where I left the car with friends. Weekend before last, my sweetie and I flew back to Bellingham and drove the car home via a trip to Glacier National Park, which we’d both wanted to visit. We took the North Cascades Highway (US20) across Washington, up to Sandpoint, ID and back down and then up to the Lake McDonald Lodge on the west side of Glacier. Then over to the Many Glaciers Lodge on the east side. Then two-lane highways across Montana to South Dakota, visits to Little Big Horn and Mt Rushmore and embracing the cheesiness that SD has to offer (Wall Drug, the Corn Palace) and lots of I-90 home from there. It was a great drive. The car is a great highway car that loves sitting at 80-90 for as long as you like, and the E21 Recaros are my favorite seats ever. Only complaint is that no cruise and a stiff throttle return spring means leg cramps after an hour.

ECCD3D62-9D04-4A04-A653-B0C56C132B4F.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On parts availability, the E3 seems to be more collectable and/or enough older than the E12 that some reproduction parts are now available for the E3. The E12 may follow suit at some point,

Also, the E3 shares mechanical parts with the E9 which helps keep those shared parts available. This is kind of a two edged sword, however, since E3s can be and are relegated to parts cars for E9s.

otter74

Reaction score
One of the reasons I decided to look for an E12 instead of another E3 was that I thought parts availability would be *better*. Not exactly…but at the worst it’s not worse, and there are certain E28 parts that I can use.