In Tank Fuel Pump

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if he is going to use the lift and main pumps, lift alone won’t work I don’t think.

My intention is to use the lift pump only to feed my Webers. When I end up going EFI, I can swap in the single high pressure pump or modify the piping to accept a Walbro or similar HP pump.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
D37025B3-5854-463C-A39E-0D6DE43B53E8.jpeg I have a good spare- meet me at the lodge on Santa Clara or at the shop-
Call me.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Triples need more volume, I wonder if it's enough

A typical BSFC for a gasoline engine is .5#/hp/hr. A 250 hp motor would burn 125#/hr if it were to make 250 hp for the full hour. Gasoline weighs about 6.5#, so a 20 gph pump would keep it going. I will test my lift pump and see what the throughput is.

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP. Weber downdrafts on a 74 with the electrical fuel pump in his attached picture. It's somehow leaking and it stinks in both boot and compartment, even when not driving.
Now I'm very confused when I look for info on replacing with in-tank electrical assembly (for a CARBURETOR E9). I don't care if the last 15% of fuel can't be used (too short pick-up) as long as it is plug-and-play.
Some say E30 318is but isn't the pressure too high? Others say early 635csi, but I don't understand the part picture below (both nr 4 and 11 are called sending units).

In-Tank Fuel Pump.jpg

I don't know what to combine/modify to get a plug-in replacement for a CS (not fuel injected high pressure).

Edit: my 1974 CS fuel tank has only a single opening (not counting where you fill it up).

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

I have weber downdrafts right now on my '74. The engine, however is a later model with no mech fuel pump provision. I'm currently using an electric pump like this:
b19da48762790c47fe08c795237e5c17-jpg.40245

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an E24 owner, I would think the price of the in tank pump is enough to dissuade anyone from using it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an E24 owner, I would think the price of the in tank pump is enough to dissuade anyone from using it.

Sorry, the dreaded double post due to impatience!

Last edited:

Mike Goble

Reaction score

It depends on your supply sources. If you are going to go with an in-tank fuel pump you will need something to mount it on and get the fuel out of the tank. They run $38 complete at Pick-and-Pull including the pump and sender.