I'm a bit of a dipstick myself actually

rb1971

Reaction score
Here's another funny one that may help other folks in a bit of a bizarre series of circumstances in the future.

My car has an S38 in place of the original M30. Recently I had a situation where after some relatively spirited driving there was a small oil leak that looked like it was actually coming out of the special air box we had made. (About 1/2 to a full quart under the car after I parked it.) Strangely, the idiot light never came on, oil pressure was never low, temp was fine, etc. etc.

We decided to switch back to a petroleum oil to help with the break-in process, and during draining about 10 quarts of oil came out! WTF? It was not showing overfull.

Well, turns out that we had to switch the original oil pan for clearance issues, but that switch happened several months before the install, and we had never considered/forgotten to switch the dipstick. The new pan is a lot deeper in the pick-up area so much more oil was needed to give a "full" reading (which was wrong).

Fortunately, no harm no foul - but another warning to me that the small things are just as important as the big things.

As an aside, now that the car has the right amount of oil it goes like a scalded cat.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great story

Some of these examples are really helpful. As I put together my e9 I'm replacing allot of parts and your message is just to be really careful about any modifications or even replacing NOS parts. I guess under other circumstances that issue you had could have been reversed and then "lots of harm-lots of foul".

Thanks!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes, i read about it in the chapter 11 of the original workshop blue manuals, there you can see why this happens when you change the oil pan, that usually is connected to a change of the oil pump

i had to change the oil pump, i order a new one from bmw, and when installed it was NOT possible to close the oil pan !!

that was a special moment ! believe me, that hurts !

answers always in the blue books

rb1971

Reaction score
Some of these examples are really helpful. As I put together my e9 I'm replacing allot of parts and your message is just to be really careful about any modifications or even replacing NOS parts. I guess under other circumstances that issue you had could have been reversed and then "lots of harm-lots of foul".

Thanks!

No kidding - this would have been somewhat bad going the other way.