Ignition switch pig tail/harness/ from switch to chassis

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
I’m looking to find the diagram of the harness that’s going from the ignition switch pig tail, to the connector/connection on the chassis side. These books are in German.

Anyone familiar with theses books? And or familiar with the piece of harness that I’m trying to locate would be a lot of help!!!

Attachments

• 4A0D07D0-9F4E-4784-88CE-C38E06FAC5D5.jpeg
    4A0D07D0-9F4E-4784-88CE-C38E06FAC5D5.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 121

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rex -- according to my Prospero Garage wiring diagram, the wiring from the ignition switch does not go to a single connector. Power to the switch (wire number 36 on my diagram) arrives via a connection on the back of the fuse block at fuse 5. Fuses 4 and 5 are connected on the power side before the fuses, creating a power distribution junction. The connection to the starter (wire 35 on my diagram) goes through a connector and then to the starter. I believe this connector is located just below the fuse block. The switched power connection (wire 34 on my diagram) also goes to the fuse block at connection number 7. As with fused 4 and 5, fuses 6 and 7 are connected on the back of the fuse block before the fuses creating a switched power distribution junction. Finally, there is a connection to fuse 10 (wire 34 on my diagram). Fuse 10 is the circuit for the radio.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Hi Rex -- according to my Prospero Garage wiring diagram, the wiring from the ignition switch does not go to a single connector. Power to the switch (wire number 36 on my diagram) arrives via a connection on the back of the fuse block at fuse 5. Fuses 4 and 5 are connected on the power side before the fuses, creating a power distribution junction. The connection to the starter (wire 35 on my diagram) goes through a connector and then to the starter. I believe this connector is located just below the fuse block. The switched power connection (wire 34 on my diagram) also goes to the fuse block at connection number 7. As with fused 4 and 5, fuses 6 and 7 are connected on the back of the fuse block before the fuses creating a switched power distribution junction. Finally, there is a connection to fuse 10 (wire 34 on my diagram). Fuse 10 is the circuit for the radio.
I see, that’s good that I’m not missing part of the harness. The bad is I half to chase these wires down. Would you be so kind to share a snap shot?
I can pm you my email address or a text.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, but I'm not the fastest with converting pictures and whatnot. When you say you have to chase the wires down, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Because three of the four wires go to the fuse block, and the fourth goes to a connector immediately below the fuse block, I believe that the wires are all wrapped in tape and travel over the top of the steering column and down along the firewall toward the back of the fuse block. You need to crawl into the footwell of the car, look up behind the dash toward the area where the steering column goes into the firewall to see this. One of the more uncomfortable positions to work in given that you must position your weight so that the door sill pressing directly on your kidneys.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
I can try and follow, but a picture is worth.....

I’ll attempt and locate the wires.

What I’m trying accomplish: I bought a new ignition switch assembly which came with the pig tail. I’m trying to find where they all connect to.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok Rex - I have a couple of pictures for you. The first two are from the wiring diagram, which give you a conceptual view of what you are seeking. Unfortunately, during the time I was chasing down my wiring issues (melted fuse block, light switch and wiring from a hack stereo install), I did not take a lot of pictures. The last picture posted was taken during this timeframe. I believe the wires you are seeking are the wires in this picture closest to the brake pedal that run parallel to the steering column and then turn sharply upward toward the gauges. This turn, I think, enables those wires to run over the steering column and back toward the fuse block.
Ignition Wiring 1.jpg
Ignition Wiring 2.jpg
20140726_213420.jpg

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
@
Ok Rex - I have a couple of pictures for you. The first two are from the wiring diagram, which give you a conceptual view of what you are seeking. Unfortunately, during the time I was chasing down my wiring issues (melted fuse block, light switch and wiring from a hack stereo install), I did not take a lot of pictures. The last picture posted was taken during this timeframe. I believe the wires you are seeking are the wires in this picture closest to the brake pedal that run parallel to the steering column and then turn sharply upward toward the gauges. This turn, I think, enables those wires to run over the steering column and back toward the fuse block. View attachment 40614 View attachment 40615View attachment 40616
hmmmmm, thank you for sending the pictures. I will compare them today.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recommend that you loosen and remove the screws holding the fuse block to allow better access to the wiring. It is very difficult to change wires on the back of the fuse block without doing this. Assuming you have a/c, you need to remove the screws and bracket that hold the relay installed on the bottom of the fuse block. In the picture, this is the relay hanging to the left of the brake pedal. I believe these screws also hold the fuse block, so once you remove them the fuse block should be more accessible.

One other thing to note. As I mentioned earlier, fuses 4 and 5 are tied together on the back of the fuse block. If you look at this picture Markos posted, you can see how that works. The connections for positions 4 and 5, before the fuses, are color coded red. On this block, there are two wires joined together in position 4, one immediately below the other. Referring back to the diagram, this corresponds to the two wires joined together in position 4. There is no wire in position 5 on this block, but if there were, it would have continuity with the wires in position 4. This is what I meant when I stated that portions of the back of the fuse block act as power distribution. In this case, unswitched power is distributed before the fuses across positions 4 and 5. Another reason this is important is that the exact positions of the wires does not matter. By way of example, the wire you are seeking might be connected to position 4 and it would function in the same manner as if it were connected to position 5.

Positions 6 and 7 are similar, with a solid green background. They act to distribute switched power.

8c79b6b3-7fd6-4a5b-950c-7fd0647ab047-jpeg.33535

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
I recommend that you loosen and remove the screws holding the fuse block to allow better access to the wiring. It is very difficult to change wires on the back of the fuse block without doing this. Assuming you have a/c, you need to remove the screws and bracket that hold the relay installed on the bottom of the fuse block. In the picture, this is the relay hanging to the left of the brake pedal. I believe these screws also hold the fuse block, so once you remove them the fuse block should be more accessible.

One other thing to note. As I mentioned earlier, fuses 4 and 5 are tied together on the back of the fuse block. If you look at this picture Markos posted, you can see how that works. The connections for positions 4 and 5, before the fuses, are color coded red. On this block, there are two wires joined together in position 4, one immediately below the other. Referring back to the diagram, this corresponds to the two wires joined together in position 4. There is no wire in position 5 on this block, but if there were, it would have continuity with the wires in position 4. This is what I meant when I stated that portions of the back of the fuse block act as power distribution. In this case, unswitched power is distributed before the fuses across positions 4 and 5. Another reason this is important is that the exact positions of the wires does not matter. By way of example, the wire you are seeking might be connected to position 4 and it would function in the same manner as if it were connected to position 5.

Positions 6 and 7 are similar, with a solid green background. They act to distribute switched power.

8c79b6b3-7fd6-4a5b-950c-7fd0647ab047-jpeg.33535
Thank you!