Ignition replacement set screw issue need advice

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to replace the ignition switch on my 1971 BMW 2800cs and there are a couple of things I need advice on. First off the tiny set screw that holds the switch in place seems to be stripped and continuously spins and does not come out. How can I take it out. Secondly after changing the switch the L red light stays on in my instrument cluster when the ignition is off and key is removed which completely drains my battery when car is off. Interesting thing is when I turn the car on the L light turns off. The wires all connect to the fuse box and was wondering if someone can alo tell me which color wire goes to which fuse. If you can tell me color of wire and fuse number. I put the new wires exactly in the same locations as the old ones but it still does not seem right.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have a beer and steel up your patience: with a screwdriver or pliers, try to turn or pull on the switch cylinder enough to bear against the set screw, then try extracting the setscrew. You should be able to get a bite on the screw threads at some point. If not, you will have to drill the setscrew out.
I'm not sure about what to do with the L light being on with the key off: even page 12-32/3 of the Manual doesn't address that. Is your alternator correctly connected? Are the diodes in the alternator OK? Check to make sure the ignition switch wires were correctly reconnected.

At one time I couldn't figure out why my windows would not work unless the driver's door was open...that was easy to figure out compared to your problem! Good luck.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mr. Riblett:
In an ideal world, the screw could be extracted with just a magnet...but of course the screw just spins around held in place by one or two stripped threads with just enough friction to overcome any magnetic force. So you have a beer and look at the damned thing until you bite the bullet and pry around with a screwdriver or pliers...and you continue to tell yourself " this is the price of owning such a rare and uncommonly beautiful car, and I am compelled to do anything she wants to keep her happy.." Right?

Honolulu

Reaction score
yer pin is screwed

You're going to have to drill it out to remove it. It would be dandy if you can remove the ignition from behind/beyond the screw, then the screw will at some point spin with the drill bit and out she'll come.

If you use a tiny left-hand drill (good luck finding THAT) the setscrew may get "stuck" to the drill and back out as it spins. But you'll have to use a reverse running drill and light pressure to allow that to happen.

Natch, you'll have to use a slightly larger screw to secure the ignition when you reassemble. For this reason, use the smallest drill bit you can get away with.

Things could be worse, but with this karma you should not attempt to mess with the water pump. That job LOVES broken bolts.

As for the other issue, suggest you tackle the ignition matter first and upon reassembly, ensure that the wires are correctly connected to the ignition switch. Somehow I suspect you and we have not heard the whole story. Have you been "in there" lately?

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I connected the wires to the fuse panel exactly as the old ones were located. Can anyone tell me which color wire goes to which fuse? There are ten fuses that are numbered from 1-10. What is interesting is my radio would not work when the car was on and would only work on the first twist of the key click but now works when the car is on. The radio got fixed by accident I guess??

Honolulu

Reaction score
no accident

No accidents. You have an intermittent connection somewhere. Reach around an "mess with" wires until you get a symptom.