Identify a GM Getrag 265

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found a GM Getrag 265 for sale kinda locally, but I feel I don't have enough knowledge about these to make an offer to the seller. Does anyone know the answers to my questions?

Supposedly came out of an Opel Monza,
Is it an 265/5 or 265/6?
Replacing the bellhousing = direct fit on the M30?

Screenshot_20191015_080436.jpg

Screenshot_20191015_080452.jpg

Screenshot_20191015_080512.jpg

Screenshot_20191015_080542.jpg

Screenshot_20191015_080526.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Generally the input shaft, output shaft, bell housing, and shift tower will be different. The bell housing is no big deal and the output shaft isn’t that big of a deal. You can get around the input shaft by using a clutch disk from the donor car. Overall, it’s probably more trouble that it is worth, but research and/or measure the differences before giving up.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, do you have any pics of the tail housing or an overall profile pic of the trans? I can’t make out any of the identifying features.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Mark, this is enough for me to leave this box alone and keep looking for a proper BMW G265.
Sorry, I have no more photos and I don't think I will have the seller to send me additional photos since I'm not really an interested buyer anymore (it's not cheap enough to be worth the potential trouble + unconfirmed condition)

Thanks again!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Mark, this is enough for me to leave this box alone and keep looking for a proper BMW G265.
Sorry, I have no more photos and I don't think I will have the seller to send me additional photos since I'm not really an interested buyer anymore (it's not cheap enough to be worth the potential trouble + unconfirmed condition)

Thanks again!

I poked around for a moment. I think that the input shaft may be standard across all of them, which helps. I don't want you to write it off immediately without researching. I have delved deep into the ZF world, which is where I am drawing most of my learnings. It is a very different transmission design however, and much less "generic" so it seems.

Anyway, take a look at the comments here...

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I poked around for a moment. I think that the input shaft may be standard across all of them, which helps. I don't want you to write it off immediately without researching. I have delved deep into the ZF world, which is where I am drawing most of my learnings. It is a very different transmission design however, and much less "generic" so it seems.

Anyway, take a look at the comments here...

Thanks, I'll dig into it when I have some time, I'm swamped with work and other tasks at the moment and that's why I threw the question out here since I don't have the time to do a proper research about it atm.
However I did ask the seller for more pictures, so lets see if he responds.