I want a Ferrari

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you should

I've got a 456mgt and love it. Had 360, 430, 550 and 575 even scuderia. in the end I liked the v12 cruiser with back seats...just like the e9!

execmalibu

Reaction score
30+ years ago I was asked... "What do ALL Porsche owners have in common???"

At the Long Beach Grand Prix in around 1979-80 my buddy knowing I loved Vintage Porsches asked me... "What do ALL Porsche owners have in common?" I said that I had no idea... What do we all have in common?

He Replied....

All Porsche owners want a FERRARI!!!....

I said that I could definitely relate to that!:)

3 months later I bought my first Ferrari a 1974 Dino Spyder (that I still own).. Then I bought a Daytona (the rocket powered school bus), Then I bought a 330GTS a clean and understated V12 Convertible!

Attachments

• Dino 3.jpg
    Dino 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
I looked into a 412 for a while. Seems like most of the V-12's were driven right up to where the first major maintenance was needed, then they were parked. I think it was several thousand dollars for a major tune up.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a 456mgt and love it. Had 360, 430, 550 and 575 even scuderia. in the end I liked the v12 cruiser with back seats...just like the e9!

CCR, what do you think of the 550 vs the 456?

I have also been debating the vintage vs modern Ferarri. I figure the vintage car will hold its value, but I might get destroyed on the maintenance costs, and never get to drive it much because it is always broken. On the other hand, the modern ones are the ultimate depreciation machines (my nickname for several Audis we have owned)...but they can actually be driven far and wide.

Love the single headlight 330 GT 2+2's, like this:

http://motorclassiccorp.com/CarDetail.cfm?ID=180

Scott

execmalibu

Reaction score
Ferraris if maintained are very reliable!!!

Ferraris are very reliable and LIKE to be driven HARD (but not put away wet)

There is a reason that Ferrari were the world champions year after year after year... Because they always finished the race!!!! The Ferrari mechanicals were not complicated and like anything if you keep them clean, oiled and properly adjusted they run great forever!

The mechanicals of the vintage Ferraris are very robust and if you know and observe the rules they are ultra reliable! On a Dino/Daytona you absolutely must let the engine warm up and then shift slowly for the first few miles until the gear box warms up...

After that you can shift at redline on every shift with absolutely no issues! They do not overheat and almost never break.

Making sure that the Dino timing chains are maintained is also important....

Last edited:

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ferrari

If I am correct, the e9 CS and Ferrari Dino were about the same price in 1973 or so. Apparently there are also some top end lubrication issues with the Ferrari. No question that they are gorgeous cars. My neighbor had one that he sold a few years ago.

Now the new Ferrari FF makes me glad I have my BMW e86 M Coupe (for $200,000 less). I actually like the shooting brake styling, although I am not sure I would want to sit in the back seat (not an issue in the e86).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a "Poor Man's" Ferrari, (1991 NSX) does that count for anything? :-D

Dan

tmason

Reaction score
I was told by a friend of friend that has acouple of them and I'm not sure what models they are but to change the oil they pull out the engine. Also they have a race here that they close the highway and you run your ride as fast as you want to go and I think it's coming up and it's mostly Ferrari's in the line-up.I need to get out there to see this before they shut it down.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
CCR, what do you think of the 550 vs the 456?

I have also been debating the vintage vs modern Ferarri. I figure the vintage car will hold its value, but I might get destroyed on the maintenance costs, and never get to drive it much because it is always broken. On the other hand, the modern ones are the ultimate depreciation machines (my nickname for several Audis we have owned)...but they can actually be driven far and wide.

Love the single headlight 330 GT 2+2's, like this:

http://motorclassiccorp.com/CarDetail.cfm?ID=180

Scott

The 456 is more refined and set up a bit softer but with a steering ecu swap with the 550 fiorano package it really handles nicely. Style is a matter of preference..the 550 is just a bit sharper and more raw and powerful. 456 is a great ferrari if you want back seats. if rear seats aren't an issue i might go for the 550.
ccr

tmason

Reaction score
The one I'm talking about is Virginia City Ferrari Hill Climb and with the death of a Driver last year it wouldn't surprize me if they cancel it.I had some picture from a friend who got to ride up in the race but I must of deleted them?