I love big BMW’s but …

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have cars that are anywhere from 5000+ pounds to under 1000 (unladen). I think every one of the is great for their purpose.

But I think this is a little ridiculous.
I have no doubt it is faster around a race track that any of my vintage race cars, but it is not a competition car and I sure hope buyers of this edition don’t let that badge go to their heads when they are driving around in my town. Personally, I would be ashamed to be the person at BMW who proposed putting that on a utility vehicle that weights over 2.5 tons and seats 7.

I have an X5, and am delighted BMW makes a 7-p SAV that tows a 6000lbs trailer and handles/brakes/accelerates better than my E9. But this is too much and is as shameful as Porsche putting “turbo” on their BEV’s and Lotus making a 2.5 ton SUV.

IMG_3503.jpeg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shame on any automobile manufacturer who put an "M" like badge on any SUV. Hello, Ford Mustang.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The M brand is diluted. They put it on anything and everything. Now you need to know the difference between BMW M, M Sport, and M Performance ///M(arketing)

1693498310112.png

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The X3s were available with 6-speed manuals from 2004-2011 & fully automatic in 2012. The 6 cylinder X5s were available with 5-speeds from 2001-2004 & 6-speeds until 2006, then went all automatic in 2007

According to Tom Plucinski at the BMW CCA Chapter Congress in 2015, the company has to sell at least 35,000 manual transmission cars to break even with the tooling costs. It's not a lot in the economies of scale of BMW global sales yet a majority of the new BMWs are leased & manuals are at the bottom of that trend.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was thinking yesterday about the plethora of SUV's, knowing the "S" stood for sport but realizing most people who I see driving them certainly do no form of sport or exercise.