How to remove wiper switch

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to remove my wiper switch to check it out... how exactly do I remove it? I came this far...

20171022173813.jpg

Thanks

Simufly

Reaction score
There are two phillips head screws holding it in. You can see one in your photo, the other is on the top side of the switch. You may have to remove the steering wheel to get good access. Then it is a matter of uncliping the loom back to plug and pulling the two plugs apart.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can you please let me know how to remove upper column cover and how do I remove horn part on steering wheel like this:
bmw_3.0_cs_3.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
First remove the lower dash panel. It is connected to the center console, to the firewall, and near the fuse box door. You will need to do this to unplug the stalk’s pigtail, which is quite long.

The upper cover isn’t “removeable”, and it’s removal isn’t necessary. Stick your head in the footwell and look up to see the large flat head screws holding the lower cover in place. There are about 4 screws holding it in place.

From there you can access the two phillips screws holding the stalk to the upper column.

A snippet from another thread. The pic is looking at the underside of the column:
It's a misnomer to refer to the upper steering column cover as a "cover". It's an integral support of the steering column as well as the ignition cylinder.
31101886504_fcc9dbbdcd_b.jpg

Can you please let me know how to remove upper column cover and how do I remove horn part on steering wheel like this:

It depends on which wheel you have. If you actually have the sport wheel pictured, use a thin screwdriver to pry between the black horn pad and the chrome trim ring. There are three plastic screws that press into holes in the trim ring. The trim ring is actually metal on this wheel.

If you have a bus wheel with the buttons on the steering wheel, the horn pad is different. The chrome ring is integral to the horn pad. The same three plastic screws are there but you need to pry under the “chrome” piece. The trim ring is plastic on this wheel and it is glued to the foam horn pad.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Push with a blunt object from behind your sport wheel, there is a small hole, only the center soft part comes out. I think you can access the plug without removing under column soft panels but maybe not, give it a try.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Push with a blunt object from behind your sport wheel, there is a small hole, only the center soft part comes out. I think you can access the plug without removing under column soft panels but maybe not, give it a try.

Yeah stuff like this is difficult for me to assess because I was taking my car apart anyway. What I know in my case is that a previous owner cut the pigtail when a bit further down they could have accessed the plug. I’m likely wrong but I felt like
the plug was pretty close to the firewall.