How thick are your front brake pads?

lloyd

Reaction score
Anyone with stock Ate front calipers on their E9 - successfully running 19mm thick pads?
Let me explain.

I have a set of new old stock front brake pads (part number 34112226009) that are clearly marked as fitting 2500, 2800, 3.0CS, 528 and 624 models. The problem is that they are too thick to fit within the caliper and vented rotor assembly. This is with the caliper pistons fully recessed. Pad thickness measures 19 mm. Several sources “suggest” these pads are interchangeable between the E9 and the E24. This can't be accurate (unless the calipers from the E24 are also installed on the E9) http://translate.google.com/transla...irefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=6j To be sure, these thicker pads have the identical footprint as the worn pads currently in the calipers. The only way I think I can get these pads to fit is to physically grind them down, which I would prefer not doing. I suppose I could always grab some solid rotors too. :roll:

Realoem lists a different part number for the E9: 34111159257. Since I do not have a new pad set handy, I am unable to confirm the measurement of this pad. However, the following site suggests these pads should be 15 mm thick. http://www.ultimategarage.com/Parts/padsale.htm

Thanks.

DJSimca

Reaction score
I just measured my set of new pads, they measure about 14.7 mm ... and they fit in the ATE caliper.

I checked the front brake pads the other day and installed this new set in the left side. Afterwards I changed my mind and decided to drive a little longer on the old set - point is though: nothing bigger than about 15mm will fit in the standard caliper unless you modify the pads - which you shouldn't :)

DJSimca

Reaction score
I just measured my set of new pads, they measure about 14.7 mm ... and they fit in the ATE caliper.

I checked the front brake pads the other day and installed this new set in the left side. Afterwards I changed my mind and decided to drive a little longer on the old set - point is though: nothing bigger than about 15mm will fit in the standard caliper unless you modify the pads - which you shouldn't :)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2500 and 2800 have thin, solid rotors. The part marking/listing you referred to is wrong, those pads won't fit on a vented front rotor car. But you already knew that didn't you?

406-EU_BRITAIN_SINGING_SENSATION_LON805.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
2500 and 2800 have thin, solid rotors. The part marking/listing you referred to is wrong, those pads won't fit on a vented front rotor car. But you already knew that didn't you?

406-EU_BRITAIN_SINGING_SENSATION_LON805.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg